• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone keep non-cichlids?

Shawnc

Members
Other than cichlids and catfish (and Goodieds that are in need of preservation), almost all of the other non-cichlids I keep are dithers or feeders for my cichlids to keep their instincts sharp as there is no way to hunt flake food :)

Yael

Members
I read through all the posts and didn't see my favorite captive. As much as I love my cichlids (labs, rustys, afras) I love my Figure 8 puffer more. He's such a clown. He lives in a brackish water tank with 7 bumble bee gobies. I also have a terrarium where my fire belly toad lives.

Owens

Members
I read through all the posts and didn't see my favorite captive. As much as I love my cichlids (labs, rustys, afras) I love my Figure 8 puffer more. He's such a clown. He lives in a brackish water tank with 7 bumble bee gobies. I also have a terrarium where my fire belly toad lives.

Thats pretty cool, as far as puffers go, I would like to get a fahaka one day or even an Mbu.

I also would like a terrarium with dart frogs one day! kinda like fire bellied toads, haha.

McGrubble

Members
Currently I have

19 endler guppies
2 true GBRs
2 inbred hybrid GBRs
4 Black banded Sunfish
1 bristle nose pleco
2 julii Cories
2 rummynose tetras (working on getting a few more)
3 marble hatchets (also need a few more)

My eventual (10 year plan) is to get a tank big enough to create a decent brackish paludarium with puffers galore.

neut

Members
Currently: Scissor tail rasbora, L260 pleco, L200 pleco, some tetras

Recently or in the past (what I can remember):
bala sharks
more plecos, can't remember them all, but some are: L001 pleco, L204 pleco, couple types of of royal pleco, couple types of gold nugget pleco, Panaque cochliodon (blue eyed pleco), rhino pleco
sturgeon
pink tail chalceus... technically a characin (tetra), but more of an oddball when you keep them...
silver and black arowana
farowella (couple different types)
spotted, striped raphael cats
white cloud/mountain minnow
tetras-- cardinal, neon, black neon, emperor, congo-- more tetras than I can remember, really
clown loaches
several types of rainbowfish

Owens

Members
Currently: Scissor tail rasbora, L260 pleco, L200 pleco, some tetras

Recently or in the past (what I can remember):
bala sharks
more plecos, can't remember them all, but some are: L001 pleco, L204 pleco, couple types of of royal pleco, couple types of gold nugget pleco, Panaque cochliodon (blue eyed pleco), rhino pleco
sturgeon
pink tail chalceus... technically a characin (tetra), but more of an oddball when you keep them...
silver and black arowana
farowella (couple different types)
spotted, striped raphael cats
white cloud/mountain minnow
tetras-- cardinal, neon, black neon, emperor, congo-- more tetras than I can remember, really
clown loaches
several types of rainbowfish

What happened to the Sturgeon?

Yes, I have a saltwater tank with 2 clownfish, 2 blue damsels, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 hippo tang, and 1 yellow tang. O and 1 betta in my office :)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'll play.

You seem pretty into catfish.. I love cats. :)

Catfish
-Syno multi
-Syno petricola group
-Syno schoutedeni group
-Syno angelicus
-Syno granulosus
-L134 group
-LDA01 group
-L06 Peckoltia Oligospila group
-L333 group
-L92 Lasiancistrus group
-LDA33 single
-L052 group
-L96 single
-L262 (?) group - can't remember number
-Ranger pleco group
-Brochus spelndens
-Corydoras schultzei black
-CW010
-Albino cories
-Calophysus macropterus

Other stuff
-Mayan swords
-Montezuma swords
-various single rainbow fish
-Black guppies
-Snakeskin guppies
-Endlers
-Serpae tetras
-Buenos Aires tetras
-Yoyo loaches
-Self-cloning crays

Becca

Members
I'll play.

You seem pretty into catfish.. I love cats. :)

Catfish
-Syno multi
-Syno petricola group
-Syno schoutedeni group
-Syno angelicus
-Syno granulosus
-L134 group
-LDA01 group
-L06 Peckoltia Oligospila group
-L333 group
-L92 Lasiancistrus group
-LDA33 single
-L052 group
-L96 single
-L262 (?) group - can't remember number
-Ranger pleco group
-Brochus spelndens
-Corydoras schultzei black
-CW010
-Albino cories
-Calophysus macropterus

Other stuff
-Mayan swords
-Montezuma swords
-various single rainbow fish
-Black guppies
-Snakeskin guppies
-Endlers
-Serpae tetras
-Buenos Aires tetras
-Yoyo loaches
-Self-cloning crays

Yep, Ok, just let me know what time to come by and drop that light off on Saturday.

neut

Members
What happened to the Sturgeon?
Got a little big for my tank (my largest tank was 75 gal at the time), so traded him. Don't know exactly what species it was, this was years ago, but according to lfs was supposed to be suitable for my aquarium-- back then, newer in the hobby and before internet, I took their word on it... the same place sold red tailed catfish and Chinese hi fin banded sharks.

In any case, the sturgeon was a very cool fish!

...reading some of the catfish reminds me of a few more I've kept-- rainbow sharks, red tailed black sharks, angelicus cats, pictus cats, various cories...

Last edited:

Owens

Members
Got a little big for my tank (my largest tank was 75 gal at the time), so traded him. Don't know exactly what species it was, this was years ago, but according to lfs was supposed to be suitable for my aquarium-- back then, newer in the hobby and before internet, I took their word on it... the same place sold red tailed catfish and Chinese hi fin banded sharks.

In any case, the sturgeon was a very cool fish!

...reading some of the catfish reminds me of a few more I've kept-- rainbow sharks, red tailed black sharks, angelicus cats, pictus cats, various cories...

Wow, what a shame. Some fish really should require a permit or something equivalent to keep.

We cant keep asain Aros here, but stores sell red tailed cats, sturgeon, gator gars and aripaimas like candy...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Don't sturgeon need cool water?

They have a nice group of them at the Atlanta Aquarium. Neat-looking fish, indeed.

neut

Members
Wow, what a shame. Some fish really should require a permit or something equivalent to keep.

We cant keep asain Aros here, but stores sell red tailed cats, sturgeon, gator gars and aripaimas like candy...
Yeah, it's nuts. Some of those should never be imported or sold in the first place, except in restricted or monitored circumstances. On the other hand you get these groups trying to introduce legislation that would effectively ban nearly all non-native aquarium fish. There can't be a sensible middle ground?