• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Amazon River Disaster & Global Warming Facts

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you all know about my most recent report and some global warming facts, in which some of you may have interest in reading it - what is happening to our freshwater world, which I think is of concern to all, not only of the aquarists and or/cichlid lovers. I lived, researched and wrote it for the website of PFK this week:
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Enjoy (or possibly not),

Heiko Bleher
www.aquaprtess-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It is unbelievable, the level of deforestation and destruction humans have caused directly or otherwise in their short existence on the planet. It is my hope that at least some of these bodies of water will continue to exist through underground aquifers, though I realize this will not save the bio-diversity struggling to thrive at the Earth's surface. I would also like to see those companies who specialize in selling to us what the planet gives for free, take a more proactive role in conservation efforts. This is simply disheartening.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
THATS FUNNY I POSTED ON ANOTHER SITE TODAY ON THIS VERY SAME TOPIC! ITS VERY SAD AND DISHEATENING AT WHAT WE HAVE DONE IN SUCH A SHORT TIME. WAIT...THERE IS NO GLOBAL WARMING! ONLY IF YOU CHOOSE TO LIVE IN A BUBBLE IT ISNT! SMH WHAT A SHAME ALL THOSE SPECIES ARE GONE FOREVER.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Man, that's rough.

Thank you Heiko for your efforts in bringing attention to these events.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Great work -

Little jammed this week but will do waht I can to se this gets some broader coverage. Here's what I'm doing this week

http://www.eia-global.org/PDF/Report--MOP--Climate--Nov10.pdf

Environmental Investigation Agency
November 5, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Massive Greenhouse Emissions Could be Eliminated by Ozone Convention
- Montreal Protocol Actions Would Exceed UNFCCC/Kyoto Reductions

November 5, 2010: While most of the world is focused on the UNFCCC climate negotiations leading up to the December meeting in Cancun, next week's Montreal Protocol meeting will consider three distinct decisions, each of which would produce greater emission reductions than those resulting from the first commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol or any near-term options being considered in the climate talks. These three options are the main subject of a report released today by the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA), Maximizing Climate Benefits from Ozone Protection.

The Bangkok Meeting of the Parties (MOP) from November 8-12, will decide whether to begin a phase-out on production and use of hydrofluorocarbons, or HFCs, that are used primarily in refrigeration and air-conditioning in favor of climate-friendly alternatives.

The Montreal Protocol, of which every nation is a member, will also be considering action to maximize direct transitions from HCFCs, powerful ozone-depleting substances (ODS), to climate-friendly refrigerants rather than HFCs, as well as a program for recovery and destruction of ODS "Banks", the stockpiles of ODS in appliances and storage leaking into the atmosphere that collectively represent over 16 billion tons of CO2 equivalent emissions. It will also consider a decision on destroying emissions of HFC-23 waste gas not covered by the UNs Clean Development Mechanism. HFC-23 is almost 12,000 times more potent than CO2, and is emitted during the production of HCFC-22.

"These are the most cost-effective, high-yield opportunities for reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the world," said Samuel LaBudde, Senior Atmospheric Campaigner with EIA. "It's senseless to delay and rely solely on the UNFCCC process when such a significant part of the solution can be implemented immediately and at far less cost through the Montreal Protocol".

It is estimated that eliminating HFCs, one of the six greenhouse gases focused on by the UNFCCC, would prevent 88-140 billion tons of CO2 equivalent emissions by 2050, or about 3-5 years worth of annual global emissions from fossil fuels. Total cost for an HFC phase-out, which would follow on the Montreal Protocol's historic success in phasing out ozone-depleting substances, is estimated to be between $7-15 billion US (5-11 billion euros) over 30 years, or about 100 times cheaper than the cost of achieving equivalent reductions under the UNFCCC process or through carbon markets.

"Right now the Montreal Protocol is at a crossroads; beyond ensuring its phase-out of HCFCs does not result in the phase-in of climate-damaging HFCs, it is poised to deliver the biggest emissions reductions in history, stated EIA Campaigner Fionnuala Walravens. If the world is serious about global warming, the Montreal Protocol is the place to begin. Next week's decisions are critical to answering the threat of climate change".

For more information contact:

Samuel LaBudde/EIA Fionnuala Walravens/EIA
Senior Atmospheric Campaigner Senior Climate Campaigner
+1 415 632-7174 +44 (0) 20 7354 7960
samlabudde@eia-international.org fionnualawalravens@eia-international.org

Maximizing Climate Benefits from Ozone Protection and other EIA Reports on the Montreal Protocol, fluorinated gases and atmospheric/climate protection available at:
www.eia-global.org and www.eia-international.org