• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mid-sized air pumps

Becca

Members
Jehmco - DAPMH15 - $40 - Comes with a splitter and 2x 6-outlet plastic manifolds.

Alita - AL-15a - $60 - Comes with connector and 12 outlet metal manifold.

Can deliver to next meeting or Pick-up in Damascus, MD.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Wow, good stuff! And to think I bought a new Alita AL-15A and manifold just two months ago. Timing is everything.

Becca

Members
Which one is quieter?

I really don't know... I can check tonight. My guess would be that they're about the same and it will depend largely on where you have them seated. For example - I had them on a shelf that was mounted to studs in the fish room - the other side of the studs was a wall in the TV room which is only about 0.25 inches thick. The vibration caused the wall to vibrate, which was NOISY in both rooms.

I installed the new pump (AL-60) on the cinderblock wall that's the back wall of the house. Even though that pump is louder than the other two, the end result is far quieter.

Foam matting can go a long way toward quieting any pump and dampening vibrations.

I'll give them a test and report back on which I think is the bigger chatterbox.

Becca

Members
Jehmco is off the market.

Alita is currently pending pick-up on Saturday, but will let everyone know if that falls through.

Wobblebonk

CCA Members
The AL-15a is rated higher than the DAPMH15, AL-6 and AL-15 is 11lpm and 20 lpm respectively, so it's not surprising that an AL-15a is stronger than a DAPMH15. The DAPMH15 is 15W and the AL-15A 26W and it's not because it's significantly less efficient. Jehmco also does this, but not until the DAPMH30+ models for whatever reason.

FishEggs

According to their website specs both units are rated @15 lpm. The difference is one is linear and the other is diaphragm which would account for the difference in wattage.

Wobblebonk

CCA Members
Don't ask me but they do, the graph and rating are clearly 20lpm @ 10 kPA.
Also these are also linear "diaphragm" not piston... so that can't explain the wattage difference.

http://www.kensfish.com/parts-fittings/alita-al-6a-15a-rebuild-kit.html

(I have 2 AL-15a myself...)

It seems to me they just left out the + because the higher end models do the same thing for example, 40+ @ .13 bar is clearly also 48~ @ 13kPA same with 60/80 etc

Last edited:

Becca

Members
Weird. I got the ratings from reading the stickers on them and I swear both stickers said 15LPM... I was surprised because I know full-well that the Alita can power more filters than the Jehmco, but the stickers had the same output rating.

Wobblebonk

CCA Members
This is super confusing but their site only shows the graph for 115v 60 hz electricity, which is what we're on. Apparently on 230v 50hz (europe) it IS 15LPM...
But the pdf also shows the wattage as being significantly lower than 26W... so who knows.

I can't find any datasheet style info on the jehmcos

Becca

Members
I've never found one, either. They're both reliable pumps, just definitely different capacity.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I’ve got 15 tanks, 4 breeder boxes, and a bunch of air stones being powered by the Alita AL-15. It puts out a lot of air.

Becca

Members
Alita AL-15A -still available to whoever can pick it up first. I won't meet anywhere other than the CCA meeting. I will hold it until the meeting if you want to PayPal.