• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Plant ideas for malawi tank

CichlidDan

Members
Any ideas for plants for a malawi tank I’ve tried different anubias, java ferns and vals and they’ve eaten all of them, are there tougher low light plants that I could try? My light is a current USA satellite plus.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I am no plant expert, but most places that I've seen recommend anubias and java fern as good, low light plants. If the fish eat those, I'm not sure you'll be successful with much of anything else.

Becca

Members
Those are about the toughest you're going to get. I'd imagine that if you planted A LOT of plants, with a wide variety, and let plenty of algae, etc. grow on your rocks, they might find certain types of plant to be preferable to others. You could try things that are very fast growing and basically weeds - guppy grass, star grass, valisneria, hornwort, duck weed, etc.- and see if they'll graze those over the tougher, less-tasty plants.

I'd definitely recommend duck weed for them. Veggie-eating fish loooooove it and it's perfectly bite sized. If you can keep a constant supply of it for them you might be able to minimize the eating of less tasty things.

What size is the tank?

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I remember once asking about the best plants for my mbuna tank - the answer is - plastic.

Becca

Members
So, in a tank that tall, the Satellite Plus isn't going to get you beyond low-light, which is something to keep in mind. With a tank full of fish that dig and eat plants, you're going to have a lot of trouble finding something that will survive and with lower light, plants aren't going to grow as quickly, either (many will survive on low light, but they won't survive being continuously grazed).

Becca

Members
If you want duckweed, EVER... I have all the duckweed a fish can eat (and none of mine eat it :()

FishEggs

I've actually had luck with some type of crypt (wendtii maybe?). Ive had a colony of cynotilapia hara with some yellow labs and dragons bloods and placidochromis and a few other random species. Ive never seen them bother it except to hide in it once in a while.
20180223_171731.jpg
It's been there for years in crushed coral/aragonite substrate over topsoil.

Becca

Members
I've actually had luck with some type of crypt (wendtii maybe?). Ive had a colony of cynotilapia hara with some yellow labs and dragons bloods and placidochromis and a few other random species. Ive never seen them bother it except to hide in it once in a while.
View attachment 18924
It's been there for years in crushed coral/aragonite substrate over topsoil.
My headstanders didn't destroy crypts, either, now that I think of it.

Any ideas for plants for a malawi tank I’ve tried different anubias, java ferns and vals and they’ve eaten all of them, are there tougher low light plants that I could try? My light is a current USA satellite plus.
Are you sure they got eaten or just melted away due to unfavorable growing conditions. One satellite plus doesn't appear to have enough light for even low light plants, as their growth rate is stunt and won't be able to replace abuse by cichlid.

I have a cichlid planted tank full of Anubias, Java Fern, and Buce with a few Crypts and Ludwigian. Anubias and Java Fern are known to be cichlid proof because they can be attached to rock and driftwood, and no fish like the taste of Java Fern.

P1000368.JPG

P1000408.JPG

P1000359.JPG

CichlidDan

Members
Are you sure they got eaten or just melted away due to unfavorable growing conditions. One satellite plus doesn't appear to have enough light for even low light plants, as their growth rate is stunt and won't be able to replace abuse by cichlid.

I have a cichlid planted tank full of Anubias, Java Fern, and Buce with a few Crypts and Ludwigian. Anubias and Java Fern are known to be cichlid proof because they can be attached to rock and driftwood, and no fish like the taste of Java Fern.

View attachment 18930

View attachment 18931

View attachment 18932
Maybe the java fern melted I didn’t actually see them eat the ferns but did see them eat the anubias and val.

Nice tank by the way!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I have plant eaters and they eat everything I put in the tank. Anubias survive and grow decently, but they nibble the ends off of them from time to time and they don’t look nearly as good. For some reason, they prefer to eat the nana over the more narrow leaf varieties.