• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heating Fish Room - Gas

HapPeacock

CCA Members
Hello All, looking for some suggestions. Does any one heat the fish room with natural gas instead of using tank heaters?

Please let me know your suggestions as I am planning to convert.

Thanks.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Would this be a centralized system that also heats the rest of the house?

Plenty of people heat the room and not individual tanks, but I think most people use space heaters, mostly electric.

HapPeacock

CCA Members
Thank you, looking to heat only the fish room (insulated one car garage). One of my friend uses the garage heater that runs on natural gas, but it's his whole basement and I am not sure how effective it wld be for the garage.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'm not experienced with gas heaters, only electric, so I'll defer to someone else who might have practical advice. Either way I think its more efficient than heating individual tanks if you have more than a few.

HapPeacock

CCA Members
Thank you, can you please let me know about your electric heater cost & specs like how many watts, room size, no of tanks and tank temp etc?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I don't know the exact cost because it was a gift, but I think it was in the $50 range. Its a 2,000 watt heater, my fish room is about 120 sq. ft., so not a large space. I've had as many tanks as 35 tanks in there, but I don't think the number of tanks really factors into the equation, the water adjusts to the ambient temperature independently I believe. I set the heater at 74, it kicks on when the temp hits 72. I'd say the tanks always stay at 70 or above, but I don't really monitor them anymore. I don't know how often the heater runs since its set on a thermostat, and I couldn't say how much the electricity costs to run it, but I'm sure its much cheaper than having a bunch of heaters in the tanks.

JLW

CCA Members
Heating the room is definitely the way to go, but also consider insulation. Adding those stiff styro boards to the walls (before the tanks go in) can save you a pretty penny.

A gas heater is way cheaper to run than electric, but you do need to vent it. Otherwise, you'll get carbon monoxide. For most smaller fish rooms, an electric is adequate.

Determining which is going to work for you is going to depend on a lot of factors. The size of the room and its insulation (in theory, if you had enough insulation, you could heat it by inviting Mike over to let out some hot air here or there), the difference in temperature -- if you keep your house at 62° and want the fish room at 84°, you're going to need more than if you keep the house at 74° and want 78°, and the type / brand of heater.