• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Driftwood and plants

rich_one

Members
Anyone have large, potentially showpiece level driftwood pieces for sale? Large enough to be a centerpiece for a 150 and 125 gallon aquarium (actually need one for both)? Also, anyone might have a lot of assorted, natural looking fake plants for sale (preferably the weighted type, but will consider non-weighted)? All heights considered, including VERY tall. Thanks.

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Becca, tempted as I am, my 150 gallon is very deep, and I have an LED light that I do not think is very suitable for growing plants. That's why I'm opting for fake ones. I just don't think the light is good enough.

-Rich

FishEggs

I have a few large pieces of driftwood available. Also I think the vas are worth trying. I've grown them in some very low light conditions.

rich_one

Members
Really? Y'all really think those vals can work? Hmmm... Becca, if I were to try them, how do I plant them? I'm using pool filter sand as a substrate. Just cover the roots with the sand? Dose with Excel or something? Not sure about it, but willing to look at it. Matt, will pm you.

-Rich

Becca

Members
Really? Y'all really think those vals can work? Hmmm... Becca, if I were to try them, how do I plant them? I'm using pool filter sand as a substrate. Just cover the roots with the sand? Dose with Excel or something? Not sure about it, but willing to look at it. Matt, will pm you.

-Rich

I used to grow them in a 150 with PFS and pea gravel and a bottom-of-the-line, cr*ppy, yellow-ish, beamswork (the old kind - they've stepped up their game a bit). I usually will put some root tabs in when I first plant a tank, and then let it take care of itsself from then on.

Vals grow good roots to absorb nutrients, and very tall/long shoots to absorb light. They can flourish in "low light" conditions because they reach the surface.

If you're adding drift wood to your tank, you could also consider some Java fern and Anubias attached to it. Another one of my favorites is Hygroryza aristata (a floating grass that doesn't root) to provide some shaded areas.

The photo I TRIED to attach above shows a 210 with all of the above (and then some). The lighting on it isn't particularly great... it's that same old beamswork plus one 36" finnex (the other one needs a new power supply) and an old, beat-up, Marineland double-bright.

It also shows 3 large-ish bits of driftwood... so here it is again (I hope).210+wood.jpg 210+wood.jpg

Becca

Members
You'll note that I have the val planted all on one side with a spray bar that sprays across the tank. That's how I get it all to grow in the same direction so trimming it is a bit easier. I'll densely plant near one end and let it grow more scattered towards the other so there's a gradient effect and still some open space.