• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Free Red Tailed Sheller (CARES), pond plants, fig tree, etc.

zendog

Hi,

I'm trying to balance my tanks out and would like to make room to move some fish. I'm not looking to sell these, just want them to go to a good home with someone who wants to keep this species. Please don't ask for them if you are just going to resell them, etc.

I have a group of 5 Platytaeniodus sp. "red tail sheller", which are a CARES species from lake Victoria. They were formerly designated as Haplochromis I believe. I'm pretty sure it is 3 males and 2 females and the larger female has held at least once although I didn't strip them so any fry have disappeared. The second fish I think is a female may turn out to be a male, since it is smaller and is a bit harder to tell for sure with these since the females do have some color in their fins, etc. They are moluscovores in nature, but eat just about anything. I also toss any snails that build up in other tanks in and they disappear. Right now they are in a 40 breeder and there is a good bit of squabbling, but no outright mayhem and murder. These are from Christine, so you may be able to talk to her about buying some more females.

One lone Black Calvus about 1" long. Gender unknown. This is only available after the shellers are gone.

One Corydoras Leapardus. This was in a mixed group of Cories that came in and is a neat fish. Sort of like a C. Trilineatus, but long snouted. I'm 86.3% sure of the ID, but with Cories without a type locality, who knows. I've decided he (or she) is a likely egg eater if I keep it with any of my groups, so it needs to find a new loving home.

I also have a couple of pond plants, including some baby tropical water lilies, some medium dwarf white waterlilies (I'll just pull a tuber out of the pond for you to plant) from my Hermine mother plant, a couple of pickerel rush and one rare pygmy water lily called Robertsonia that should be red but has never flowered for me most likely since it doesn't have enough sun since it only gets 3-4 hours in my pond.

And if you are interested, I am also reducing the number of potted fruit trees (you can put them in the ground if you want) including smaller fig trees and some native plums and possibly a pomegranate. The pomegranate would have to stay in a pot and be stored in a unheated garage or other while dormant.

I'm really hoping someone interested in any of the above is also planning to go to the barbecue so I can send along some stuff I was saving for other folks. I'm in Arlington, VA and unable to travel to drop any of this off, so you will need to come here.

Last edited:

zendog

Bump. Is no one really interested in these cool red tail shellers? I guess summer is the slow time for folks adding fish.

Becca

Members
I've never kept fish that need hard water like most African cichlids do. They seem like lovely little fish, for sure, I just don't have a suitable tank or I'd have jumped at the opportunity.

If you do end up sending things to the BBQ, I would love to try a fig tree.

Becca

Members
P.S. if you send the shellies I can always sneak them into one of Christine's empty tanks while she's entertaining! :D

zendog

Matt Chambers may come over for some pond plants so if he does I'll see if I can get him to take on keeping a fig alive for you if he's going to the barbecue.

P.S. if you send the shellies I can always sneak them into one of Christine's empty tanks while she's entertaining! :D

Freakgecko

Members
Man I wish I had a tank free for these guys! The only one I have is a 150 I'm setting up for a local Cat Rescue but it will be mostly mbuna, don't think it would be a good fit :/ also wouldn't mind having a pomegranate tree lol

dogofwar

CCA Members
Vics don't require hard water. Tap is great. For that matter tap is actually fine for Malawi and Tangs :)

Matt

I've never kept fish that need hard water like most African cichlids do. They seem like lovely little fish, for sure, I just don't have a suitable tank or I'd have jumped at the opportunity.

If you do end up sending things to the BBQ, I would love to try a fig tree.

Becca

Members
Vics don't require hard water. Tap is great. For that matter tap is actually fine for Malawi and Tangs :)

Matt

Well... in that case... I actually could probably free up some space for these guys depending on what sized tank the group requires.

captmicha

Members
Hi,

I'm trying to balance my tanks out and would like to make room to move some fish. I'm not looking to sell these, just want them to go to a good home with someone who wants to keep this species. Please don't ask for them if you are just going to resell them, etc.

I have a group of 5 Platytaeniodus sp. "red tail sheller", which are a CARES species from lake Victoria. They were formerly designated as Haplochromis I believe. I'm pretty sure it is 3 males and 2 females and the larger female has held at least once although I didn't strip them so any fry have disappeared. The second fish I think is a female may turn out to be a male, since it is smaller and is a bit harder to tell for sure with these since the females do have some color in their fins, etc. They are moluscovores in nature, but eat just about anything. I also toss any snails that build up in other tanks in and they disappear. Right now they are in a 40 breeder and there is a good bit of squabbling, but no outright mayhem and murder. These are from Christine, so you may be able to talk to her about buying some more females.

One lone Black Calvus about 1" long. Gender unknown. This is only available after the shellers are gone.

One Corydoras Leapardus. This was in a mixed group of Cories that came in and is a neat fish. Sort of like a C. Trilineatus, but long snouted. I'm 86.3% sure of the ID, but with Cories without a type locality, who knows. I've decided he (or she) is a likely egg eater if I keep it with any of my groups, so it needs to find a new loving home.

I also have a couple of pond plants, including some baby tropical water lilies, some medium dwarf white waterlilies (I'll just pull a tuber out of the pond for you to plant) from my Hermine mother plant, a couple of pickerel rush and one rare pygmy water lily called Robertsonia that should be red but has never flowered for me most likely since it doesn't have enough sun since it only gets 3-4 hours in my pond.

And if you are interested, I am also reducing the number of potted fruit trees (you can put them in the ground if you want) including smaller fig trees and some native plums and possibly a pomegranate. The pomegranate would have to stay in a pot and be stored in a unheated garage or other while dormant.

I'm really hoping someone interested in any of the above is also planning to go to the barbecue so I can send along some stuff I was saving for other folks. I'm in Arlington, VA and unable to travel to drop any of this off, so you will need to come here.
I would love the fruit trees, please! I would take you up on the fish if I had as much room for those too.

zendog

I would love the fruit trees, please! I would take you up on the fish if I had as much room for those too.
Hi, Send me a message and let me know when you would like to come by. I have a fig tree left for you and can probably give you a seedling peach and a native plum, but it is first come first served.
I'm in Arlington, VA.

zendog

Becca, you'd love these guys. Any chance you might make it to the Arlington area sometime soon? You can have a package deal of a fig tree with some figs already forming on it and the shellers.
I've got a couple of those floating around. Z zendog consider me a last resort.

Becca

Members
Becca, you'd love these guys. Any chance you might make it to the Arlington area sometime soon? You can have a package deal of a fig tree with some figs already forming on it and the shellers.

It's unlikely. I need to travel to Philly this week for my grandmother's funeral, which is my only time off until August. There's a slim chance my husband will be somewhere in VA (Alexandria, maybe?) on Thursday, but we don't know yet.

Is anyone else picking stuff up from you?

Robinhud

CCA Members
I did some research and they are not what I first thought when you posted shellies. They are very nice fish and would be glad to take them if not spoken for.

Becca

Members
Hi Robin,
I'll double check with Becca, since she has first dibs. I'm the meantime here is a quick video I just shot.
I was last resort, not first dibs!
My guess is that Robin has more time on his hands than I do. Hopefully he can get out your way sooner and will have more time to care for them.
Besides, I still have an evil Teleogramma I'd need to relocate to give them a proper home. That bozo is taking up an entire 92 corner!