• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Big Ole Bag of Food

So i'm looking to make a fairly large capital investment in a reliable brand of flake food. I'm talking a multiple pound purchase (would even consider 50lbs if possible). Ideally there would be a discount for buying in such bulk.

The types of fish i'm feeding:
Angelfish
German Blue Rams
Jack Dempseys
Kribs
Benga Cichlids
Yellow Belly Alberts
Green Terrors

Essentially cichlids and some other types. I am certain though that I want flakes.

Does anyone know a good supplier that can get me a good deal on a large bulk purchase?

Your recommendations are most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Batfish sells both Cobalt and Omega One. I'm sure he can get bulk deals if you talk with him.

But my question - Do you really go through food that fast? I'd be concerned with the food becoming old/stale (if that's even possible). I know most food comes with a "best if used by" date, so I'd assume that something degrades in the food over time. Is it really worth the couple of dollars you save on buying in bulk to feed your fish old food?

Just my thoughts...

mchambers

Former CCA member
+1 on the Omega One and Cobalt foods, and on the concern about aging. I wouldn't buy more than you can use in 6 months.

dogofwar

CCA Members
YourFishStuff has a flake sale going on right now. www.yourfishstuff.com

I share Jon's concerns about the need to buy so much at the same time. Maybe you're saving a few bucks but why risk stale food?

If you want to save some money, start culturing and feeding red wiggler (composting) worms :)

Matt

JLW

CCA Members
I agree 100% on the "stale" food idea. Once you open a container of fish food, it should be refrigerated, which extends the lifespan up to about 6 months (freezing it will do up to a year). The fish food will rapidly begin to loose nutrition. Vitamins and proteins will break down and denature, decreasing both palatability and nutrition. Fats, amino acids, and some proteins will also go rancid. You should never use fish food more than 6 months old.

Plus, you run the risk of older containers getting infested with insects and such. I get small beetles in my cans all the time (I don't mind, they're free food. :)... but, then, I go through 10 pounds of fish food a year.