• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello There

dario5678

CCA Members
I am new here and joined after deciding to start an African Cichlid tank. I didn't know it would be so much information regarding compatible species lake etc. I am hoping this site will assist me with everything from my first stock introduction through my last stock introduction.

Currently I have a 90 gallon empty tank that I will be filling with water this weekend.

dario5678

CCA Members
You'll likely find most of your stock on here too!
Good to know. Ive been in Petsmart and petco...theyve been unable to help me plan because they dont know much about the fish. My LFS is not noob friendly..they get annoyed when you ask questions.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Welcome Dario!

You'll find folks in the club and on the the club forum who are very experienced and very helpful.

Hope you're able to attend our next meeting (Sept 9 at 2:00 PM, JFK High School in Silver Spring, MD). We have a great speaker (on shell-dwelling African Cichlids), great raffles and a mini-auction...which will probably be pretty good-sized!

Matt

FishEggs

Sounds like the lfs wants to go out of business. That's a shame since there are so few around anymore.
Ever take a ride up to House Of Tropicals in Glen burnie? It's a bit of a drive from Waldorf but the people there are friendly and helpful.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Welcome Dario
Hope you're able to attend our next meeting (Sept 9 at 2:00 PM, JFK High School in Silver Spring, MD). We have a great speaker (on shell-dwelling African Cichlids), great raffles and a mini-auction...which will probably be pretty good-sized!

Matt

Above: Shameless plug from club president about next club meeting... haha

The folks here are really good and since we take a break from meetings over the summer, Matt is right. We will likely have a larger auction this time around. Start stock planning now!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Somehow, despite our annual Big Fish Deal, signs at many LFS and other marketing, CCA (and fish clubs) are about the best kept secret (and best deal!) in fish keeping.

Great information from experienced fishkeepers to help you succeed, friendly folks willing to help, great quality fish and plants that aren't available in LFS for a fraction of the price. great speakers, BBQs, cook outs, group buys...auctions, raffles. Can't beat it for less than a cup of coffee per month.

If just 10% more of the fishkeepers in the area would discover the club, we'd go from 150-200 members to several thousand. Heck, if 10% of the people who use the forum who aren't members would join the club, we'd more than double :)

Matt

dario5678

CCA Members
Above: Shameless plug from club president about next club meeting... haha

The folks here are really good and since we take a break from meetings over the summer, Matt is right. We will likely have a larger auction this time around. Start stock planning now!

Interesting and thank you. So can you help me understand the relationship between the auction and your suggestion to start stock planning now?

dario5678

CCA Members
Somehow, despite our annual Big Fish Deal, signs at many LFS and other marketing, CCA (and fish clubs) are about the best kept secret (and best deal!) in fish keeping.

Great information from experienced fishkeepers to help you succeed, friendly folks willing to help, great quality fish and plants that aren't available in LFS for a fraction of the price. great speakers, BBQs, cook outs, group buys...auctions, raffles. Can't beat it for less than a cup of coffee per month.

If just 10% more of the fishkeepers in the area would discover the club, we'd go from 150-200 members to several thousand. Heck, if 10% of the people who use the forum who aren't members would join the club, we'd more than double :)

Matt

So am I considered a forum user or have I joined the club?

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Seeing what's in the auction, and therefore available through club members, might steer you in a particular direction.

Unless you've paid your membership dues, you're a forum member. When you pay, your name will change from black to green--the mark of a full club member.

Come to a meeting and check things out. I think you'll enjoy it.

Blaise

dario5678

CCA Members
Seeing what's in the auction, and therefore available through club members, might steer you in a particular direction.

Unless you've paid your membership dues, you're a forum member. When you pay, your name will change from black to green--the mark of a full club member.

Come to a meeting and check things out. I think you'll enjoy it.

Blaise
Is this a situation that I should come prepared to purchase fish?

FishEggs

At the end of our monthly club meeting we hold an auction where members sell off unwanted or overstocked fish. Anyone at the meeting (non members included) can by them. You can get really good quality fish for really good prices and many of them you won't see available at any fish store.

Items and fish available to be seen at Mygroupauctions.

Someone post link below please.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
There is sure to be some interesting items available in the auction. Auction items will be registered ahead of time in MyGroupAuctions.com, so you'll have an idea of what is available.

When I first joined the club, I don't think I ever attended a meeting where I didn't bring home something!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Is this a situation that I should come prepared to purchase fish?

Yes. I say plan your stock now so that you know what you are looking for before the auction. Know retail pricing so you know the deal you are getting (always good) and about how much money to bring. If you don't plan ahead, you'll end up bringing home all kinds of stuff!!!

FishEggs

Yes. I say plan your stock now so that you know what you are looking for before the auction. Know retail pricing so you know the deal you are getting (always good) and about how much money to bring. If you don't plan ahead, you'll end up bringing home all kinds of stuff!!!

I plan to bring home all kinds of stuff. :)