• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB RIVER ROCKS

Duane911

Members
Looking to change my setup. I have about 75-85 lbs of lava rock chunks. Looking to trade before I head out to HD, nursery or landscape dealer. Looking for those nice hand size polished looking river rocks. I've seen them in earth tones. And forgive me CCA folks, I need advice on lighting. I have a 180 acrylic. I'm using two 18" hoods with nothing special lights. Oh and I'm kinda tight on money. Thanks all, I love the advice I've gotten. Hope to make the June meeting !

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I forgot what you have in your tank (I think it's Africans), but assuming you don't have a lot of plants, lighting is only important if you want to grow algae on the rocks for grazers like tropheus or some mbuna. Most Africans come from pretty deep water, so the lighting is mostly for you to see them.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Your best bet for river rock is to go collect from a river. Not many places carry it that I know of, and its usually expensive when they do. As far as lighting, are you asking what type of bulbs or spectrum of light?

davidhusker

Members
I use a 4-ft shop light and 5000k bulbs on my 180 acrylic
Shoplight is $13 and the bulbs were $6

As far as river rock, you'd be better off looking around on side-roads or by streams than you would going to a rock store or fish place.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I went to Irwin Stone in Frederick (www.irwinstone.com ) to pick up some slate pavers for around the house. They also sold river rock in different sizes that is used in construction by the ton. I only wanted 3 or 4 softball size rocks and the guys let me have them for nothing. Even if you had to pay for it, the stuff is like $40 a ton, so 100 pounds is only $2.

ddavila06

Members
I went to Irwin Stone in Frederick (www.irwinstone.com ) to pick up some slate pavers for around the house. They also sold river rock in different sizes that is used in construction by the ton. I only wanted 3 or 4 softball size rocks and the guys let me have them for nothing. Even if you had to pay for it, the stuff is like $40 a ton, so 100 pounds is only $2.

LOL big time!! most pet stores that sell river rock will rip you off with like $2 per pound....:eek:

Gokuson4

Members
Looking to change my setup. I have about 75-85 lbs of lava rock chunks. Looking to trade before I head out to HD, nursery or landscape dealer. Looking for those nice hand size polished looking river rocks. I've seen them in earth tones. And forgive me CCA folks, I need advice on lighting. I have a 180 acrylic. I'm using two 18" hoods with nothing special lights. Oh and I'm kinda tight on money. Thanks all, I love the advice I've gotten. Hope to make the June meeting !
How much do you want for those Lava rocks? Any picks on size?