• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: lid parts

Becca

Members
Looking for replacement hinges and back strip for the 24 inch lids on my 55 gallon.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Spine

Members
Tropical Lagoon has them. Call to make sure its in stock. If you call before noon M
onday they can still order it to be in by Wed or Thur

Becca

Members
HOT was out of backstrip and only had 30 inch hinges.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Yeah I know drfostersmith has both for cheap also, only problem is you'll be way under the $50 for shipping

EXACTLY.

With the shipping factored in, there's actually only about a $5 difference between buying the parts and buying completely new lids... go figure!

lkelly

Members
For hinges, I have a lot of luck just using silicone (as long as the glass isn't really thick). Put the glass pieces down leaving a small gap in between. Take some masking tape and mark off about 1/2 - 3/4" on each side of the joint, apply a full bead of silicone along the gap, then use your fingers to spread it out leaving a little high point at the joint. Before it dries too much, pull of the tape to give yourself a nice edge and then let it sit for 2 days. You should have a pretty solid hinge with the silicone on the top side.

Mine have lasted a few years. If it does start to fail, it's really easy to redo. It is also very inexpensive compared to the ones they sell online.

Becca

Members
For hinges, I have a lot of luck just using silicone (as long as the glass isn't really thick). Put the glass pieces down leaving a small gap in between. Take some masking tape and mark off about 1/2 - 3/4" on each side of the joint, apply a full bead of silicone along the gap, then use your fingers to spread it out leaving a little high point at the joint. Before it dries too much, pull of the tape to give yourself a nice edge and then let it sit for 2 days. You should have a pretty solid hinge with the silicone on the top side.

Mine have lasted a few years. If it does start to fail, it's really easy to redo. It is also very inexpensive compared to the ones they sell online.

This is a nice solution, and I may use it for other lids I have this issue with, but it would leave this particular tank lidless for 2 days, which is not an option.