• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Eheim 2213...

JasonC

Members
Anyone downsizing or have a 2213 sitting around? Thought I would check here before starting to haunt ebay.

Thanks!

Spine

Members
I think I still have a couple. I'll dig thru my pile and see if I still have them. I'll post here if I have it, my pm box is full.

Becca

Members
That one is smaller than the 2217, right? I think I have one. Of course, I've been saving it for my imaginary 30 gallon set-up... LOL.

Ading522

Members
hmm...so alot of people on here have it? how much are you guys looking for ? i was gonna search ebay as well..

Becca

Members
I have no idea what it cost in the first place - I've had it almost 10 years and it was a gift.

If you can find someone on CL going out of the hobby, that's your best bet. A lot of times they're just looking to get rid of stuff fast. That's how we got the second 2217, plus an Aqua Clear 75, plus some huge (but tacky) decorations, and a boat load of filter media... FOR $60.

Ading522

Members
I have no idea what it cost in the first place - I've had it almost 10 years and it was a gift.

If you can find someone on CL going out of the hobby, that's your best bet. A lot of times they're just looking to get rid of stuff fast. That's how we got the second 2217, plus an Aqua Clear 75, plus some huge (but tacky) decorations, and a boat load of filter media... FOR $60.

thanks becca! I did try, but some are really looking to bundle up! hahaha..tanks and everything.. do you happen to know anyone with a 90-150 setup that will sell?

JasonC

Members
That one is smaller than the 2217, right? I think I have one. Of course, I've been saving it for my imaginary 30 gallon set-up... LOL.

Yeah... one size up. Was looking at it too, but may be a tad too much flow for the type tank I am trying to set up...

mchambers

Former CCA member
Actually, the 2215 is between the 2213 and the 2217.

The 2213 is great for tanks between 15 and 30 gallons, in my experience.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Not to hijack the thread, but do any of you Eheim 2200 series Owners find them as big of a PIA to clean as I do? I ended up going out and purchasing my own set of colanders to use while cleaning the bio-media after being chastised by my wife for using one of hers.

JasonC

Members
haha! mistake #1... been there, done that. Apparently there is no amount of dishwasher detergent that can get rid of the *idea* that there was fishpoop on something. ;P

Did yours have a media basket? Some of the review vids on youtube had a white media basket with a screw on top that was the size of the entire canister. thought about if something like that would be a pain to deal with, but I guess if its just a matter of squeezing sponges every month or two and maybe an annual rinse-off of the bio media, i am okay with that.

JasonC

Members
Actually, the 2215 is between the 2213 and the 2217.

The 2213 is great for tanks between 15 and 30 gallons, in my experience.

Hmm.. maybe I should be considering a 2215 instead? I will be just at 30 gallons and moderately to heavily stocked...

mchambers

Former CCA member
Up to you

Hmm.. maybe I should be considering a 2215 instead? I will be just at 30 gallons and moderately to heavily stocked...
It's a matter of how much flow you want and how much you want to spend. I've run each on 29 gallon tanks. The 2213 doesn't have a lot of flow, but it's enough.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Cleaning

Not to hijack the thread, but do any of you Eheim 2200 series Owners find them as big of a PIA to clean as I do? I ended up going out and purchasing my own set of colanders to use while cleaning the bio-media after being chastised by my wife for using one of hers.
I only clean them every 4 or 5 months, and I use prefilters on them. So while it's not easy, I don't have to do it very often,

In some of them, I keep the biomedia in a coarse mesh bag to make cleaning easier.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You all make it sound like work

I have this suspicion that many of our notions concerning "clean" may be a bit excessive. For my part, cracking open and cleaning canisters happens about once a year (if that) and involves removing the media trays, refilling the canister with tank or tap water after dumping out the sludge, and then plunging the loaded trays into the canister a couple/few times to rinse away most of the accumulated sediment. Dump the canister, replace the trays and hook it back up. Anything that's in the canister is essentially inert so "cleaning" only really need involve a flush to maintain/restore even flow through the canister media.

I have a number of AquaClears that get cleaned even less often but that's part of the beauty of using pre-filters and keeping internal sponges/floss from getting hopelessly clogged.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The mesh bag is a good idea, but I'd need something pretty large, as I use my canisters for primarily bio filtration. I'll have to look around for something.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sam was typing the same time I was. I definitely prescribe to the less is more when it comes to canister cleaning, but I do like to do it once every 6 months or so. I find with the 2217, I do it even less often because of the lack of media tray. Essentially, I have to pour out the contents of the canister on the counter in order to clean anything.

Becca

Members

I am the wife, so no, I've never found them difficult to clean... LOL!

At Roraima, Dennis had a technique for using a 5 gallon bucket to clean sponge filters. I do the same thing for the sponges in the Eheim, then I use the same bucket to clean the bio pellets - I just dump them in, rinse, stir and pour off the water. It works as well as a colander and I don't have to get down on my hands and knees and dig the bucket out from the over-filled kitchen cabinet.

The biggest PITA for me is remembering what order all the mechanical filters were in before I took the thing apart.

And yeah, we only clean ours once a year, if that. We don't really rely on carbon for anything and stick primarily with biological filtration, so we only clean our 2217s if we see reduced flow.