• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB crushed coral

sreid76

Members
Preparing my first African tank and am looking for some crused coral to raise the PH. Can pick up at the mtg.

Thanks,

Stan

Becca

Members
I have some used that can be rinsed. It is the Carib Sea african cichlid mix.

I can bring it to the meeting - PM me if interested.

daninmd

Members
never had the need for crushed coral substrate to raise pH for Africans. I think its better to just get them used to tap water and not subject them to pH swings. the crush coral will increase your pH but its not an instant process. whenever you do a water change the new tap water will be at a lower pH, which would be a sudden change for the fish.

they will be fine in tap water, just adjust them over a week or so to be overly cautious.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have crushed coral or limestone in all of my African tanks, change water with straight tap, and have never lost a fish during a water change. The crushed coral provides "buffering capacity" to keep the water in a normal range, the pH can actually fluctuate more without it if nitrates or ammonia build up. Unless you're doing water changes of more than 50%, I doubt the overall pH changes much.

daninmd

Members
i usually do larger water changes. I agree it probably wont kill the fish, they are more durable than I think they get credit for. but there really isn't any need to put it in your tank. I have had all my Africans on tap water and they have been happy and breeding like crazy. if you want it because it looks better go for it, just trying to point out to someone new to cichlids that is isn't necessary.

madcobra216

Members
I have a large bucket of mixed crushed corals, FREE if you are interested. About 60-70 lbs. PM if interested.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App