• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wtb : arowana tank mates

kevin911

Members
I think his filtration is fine, as long as he keep up with water change I don't see a problem. I'm way overstock than that but my filtration is not bad.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Acpape0

Members
No worries ,
I am rescuing the arowana from a 55 gallon so I can't wait on him. He is currently 7-8 inches. He will be fine for a few months until I upgrade. I just didn't want a 1 fish tank . What can I add that will be fine until the upgrade. If I have to wait on a ray that is no big deal, but I would like something at the bottom of tank. What would you recommend if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kevin911

Members
I would do aro for top, sevs for mid and clown loaches / Ray for bottom. The Ray will take a long time for you to start worrying about upgrade. Aros is fine until it gets 13-15 due to turning back and forth so when the aros get that big you have to consider at least 2' in width tank.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
While I've seen both set ups I will say Kevin you have a way bigger sump and filters etc. that's probably why you can over stock (sorry Adam his is just bigger...lol)

As for a bottom dweller you can have my weird yellow/orange pleco he's cool for a unknown/common

Acpape0

Members
I like sevs actually,
I saw some of the altifrons at HOT yesterday and loved them beautiful fish... How Many 4-5" would be good? I think they wanted $40 a piece is that a decent price

Last edited:

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I lost a baby catfish (not sure what kind. got it with a tank looked like rtc but no color about an inch and a half long) after it tried to eat an algae wafer...smh

rich_one

Members
I have a male hystrix ray, currently about a 5.5" disk, give or take, in a 6 ft. 150. Male hystrix get a max disk of about 12"... one of the smallest rays you can get in the hobby. I got mine at about a 4.5" disk in March. His is doing really great. I give him shrimp on occasion, but he now greedily gobbles up sinking pellets. I got my ray from a guy on MFK who breeds hystrix (like with many other fish, the source is important... you start with a quality fish, your success rate improves). I do weekly water changes of about 30%, skimming off the sand on the bottom. I only have angels and rainbow fish in with my ray at the moment. I bought my ray after asking a million questions on MFK, and wanted a ray that could do well in a 150 if possible, and male hystrix was almost the unanimous suggestion. Of course, I'm not adding any monster fish to the tank, so the ray will have the heaviest bio-load. I am running an Eheim canister and 3 AC110s on this tank.

-Rich

Acpape0

Members
Ok so I went back and looked after work today and what they really had were Jurupari ... And they were $30.
How are these guys? Also where could I get the altifrons ? I live in elkridge md. Anything local or club sponsors sell them?