• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Ancistrus

Ading522

Members
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here has some ancistrus for sale? looking for the following species:

ancistrus cirrhosus
ancistrus claro
ancistrus dolichopterus/ bushymouth catfish
ancistrus leucostictus

I have never kept any ancistrus before, and I am basing these on the pictures I have seen online, and so far these are what I have found to be good looking and not growing to more than 5"..if you have kept any ancistrus species that you think look better than the above listed, pm me! i might be interested! thanks!!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Not really very common plecos there. For the most part, the only ancistrus varieties being bred in the club are the standard brown variety and albinos (regular and fancy ones - reds, long fins, etc). They are aquarium strains, without an L number or described species - generally referred to as "Ancicstrus sp."

Watch out for the pH and hardness requirements on plecos. The common varieties (above) are more tolerant to your harder water than the more exotic flavors.

This is a great reference:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=221

Ading522

Members
Not really very common plecos there. For the most part, the only ancistrus varieties being bred in the club are the standard brown variety and albinos (regular and fancy ones - reds, long fins, etc). They are aquarium strains, without an L number or described species - generally referred to as "Ancicstrus sp."

Watch out for the pH and hardness requirements on plecos. The common varieties (above) are more tolerant to your harder water than the more exotic flavors.

thanks tony! sure didn't take time to look at pH levels when I was reading about the ancistrus.. they had a super long list.. haha.. hope you got the pm i sent you this morning..

verbal

CCA Members
The common BN is sometimes referred to as: Ancistrus cf cirrhosus

Those are pretty plentiful in the club.

Ancistrus dolichopterus can be found and is referred to as the L183, however I would start with the standard BN first.

There is a also another easy species that it is pretty common in the club which would be a good starter species also.

Ading522

Members
The common BN is sometimes referred to as: Ancistrus cf cirrhosus

Those are pretty plentiful in the club.

Ancistrus dolichopterus can be found and is referred to as the L183, however I would start with the standard BN first.

There is a also another easy species that it is pretty common in the club which would be a good starter species also.

Thanks Jesse! I would probably go for the BN's then.. I see that there are many color variations for the BN.. hopefully, some of the fish end up in the auction..so far, there hasnt been a lot of posting on the mygroupauction.com

Forester

Members
I have super red bns i could sell you. They are a rare color morph that me and jesse both breed.

Lucas

verbal

CCA Members
Well dang. I stand corrected. :)

Actually you are correct about the "true" Ancistrus cirrhosus. cf - indicates a species is affiliated with a species. However I figured it was much more likely the common BN were what he was after.