• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: A boatload of Java Moss

mchambers

Former CCA member
They are different mosses. Java moss is messier, and isn't that great for a moss wall, at least in my experience. Christmas moss is more orderly and is also a pretty moss, but I haven't tried it in a moss wall.

Becca

Members
Ok - then I guess I want Christmas Moss...

I think I must have some growing in my 2 gallon because it is not messy looking. Of course, it is not nearly enough for something like this...

AquaStudent

Members
Shoot a message over to ltrepeter2000. I spoke with him yesterday and he just trimmed up his tank at work. He had a shopping bag full of java moss and other plants ready to rock.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Becca,

There are a bunch of threads around the Internet about which mosses work best for moss walls. I don't think there is any consensus, but you might want to read them before proceeding. Unless your husband has already bought the moss. . .

Becca

Members
Becca,

There are a bunch of threads around the Internet about which mosses work best for moss walls. I don't think there is any consensus, but you might want to read them before proceeding. Unless your husband has already bought the moss. . .

He has not already bought the moss. I'll take some time and look it up tonight before anybody buys anything. I've seen that java moss is slow growing and a little crazier than Christmas Moss...

dogofwar

CCA Members
Messy moss is a sign of a brilliant mind.

Matt

They are different mosses. Java moss is messier, and isn't that great for a moss wall, at least in my experience. Christmas moss is more orderly and is also a pretty moss, but I haven't tried it in a moss wall.

Sonny Disposition

Becca, there's fiberglass mesh screen that you can get at a hardware store that comes in a fairly long roll. It would probably be a lot easier to work with than the pizza mesh stuff. I forget what it's called, but it's for putting a screen across clothes dryer vents, to keep the varmints and vermin out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/live-moss-background-199900.html

Enough to get a background started on the 150, also the 29, and a bit to share with my father-in-law for his 125.

Sonny Disposition

Becca, there's fiberglass mesh screen that you can get at a hardware store that comes in a fairly long roll. It would probably be a lot easier to work with than the pizza mesh stuff. I forget what it's called, but it's for putting a screen across clothes dryer vents, to keep the varmints and vermin out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/live-moss-background-199900.html

Enough to get a background started on the 150, also the 29, and a bit to share with my father-in-law for his 125.

AquaStudent

Members
When I built my moss wall I used plastic canvas. You can find it at someplace like Total Crafts or Michaels, etc. I used 3 pound test fishing line to bond two pieces of canvas together sandwiching some peacock moss (my alternative to java...although that species of moss grew too thick at the top and killed off the bottom section).

verbal

CCA Members
When I built my moss wall I used plastic canvas. You can find it at someplace like Total Crafts or Michaels, etc. I used 3 pound test fishing line to bond two pieces of canvas together sandwiching some peacock moss (my alternative to java...although that species of moss grew too thick at the top and killed off the bottom section).

Did you cut the moss and then sandwich it?

AquaStudent

Members
I ordered the moss from someone over at Theplantedtank.net (about two-three golf ball sizes) and just spread that out between the two pieces of plastic canvas. Then sealed them together with fishing line.