• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: 6' 150g or larger

tremper

Members
Hi All,

I'm looking for a reasonably priced (aren't we all) 6 foot tank with hood lights and a decent stand as it will be in my dining room. Not sure I want to risk anything much larger than a 180g as it will be sitting on my termite riddled / dry rotting 1820 joist's. I'm willing to travel from Richmond to NJ to pick this up, so if someone has something or sees something on CL please drop me a PM.

TIA,

Joe

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not sure if he's still got them, but Kevin (Spine) was recently selling a couple of 125gs...

Matt

tremper

Members
I was shamed by a fellow forum member into being a big boy and holding our for at least a 150g. I have a 10 pack of P phenochilus Tanzania I'm growing out so I tend to agree, bigger is better....

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I was shamed by a fellow forum member into being a big boy and holding our for at least a 150g. I have a 10 pack of P phenochilus Tanzania I'm growing out so I tend to agree, bigger is better....

NICE!

No shame in rolling a 125 in lieu of a 150. I have both and it's not a significant difference if you're not stocking a lot of mid and high-water fish.

125 is a way more common too, so you can probably find one a lot cheaper.

tremper

Members
ok, well said, so there is now interest in a 125g, sooooooo, whose got them!

I'll check in with Kevin....

eden2020

Members
150G

Still have my 150G tall (new).. Bring it to the meeting. $400

I know it's not a 6 foot tank but it IS a deep 4ft with plenty of swimming space for bigger fish..

-marc and family..

tremper

Members
Thanks again Mark but I need to stick by my guns and go with a 6 footer. As eager as I am, when you live in a house comprised of seven 12'x13' rooms, it has to fit the space I need it to go into..., it has to be a 6 footer!

eden2020

Members
Tank

No problem... Thought I would offer. I like the 125s, but if you are going 6 feet and have the space go with a 180 long or 220. The dimensions are soooo much better to work with when it comes to larger fish and aquascaping.

Good luck with the hunt!

-marc and family

tremper

Members
I have got to figure out that CL alert thing. I can not figure out how to get alerts to these types of listings!

tremper

Members
Tried..... no luck..... Funny, I've wasn't traveling this week so I've been checking CL within a 150 mi radius 3-4x a day, and as luck would have it, I checked at 10 am this morning, then got busy with something else. They posted at 11 something! Never responded to me....

Ill hook you up with a tank if you want. I'm selling them for wholesale plus $20. They are brand new tanks. Only catch is you have to pick them up in Alexandria

turfboss

Members
Chris -

If wholesale is below Petco Sale prices (depending on the size and brand your selling) for larger tanks you may have a motherlode here. As you are probably aware the Petco prices are $1.00 per gallon but they only sell certain sizes - generally they sell 10, 20L, 20H, 29, 40 breeders and 55's for that price but in the latest sale they were only selling 10, 20L and 40 Breeders - they would not sell me a 20H cause it was not on the sale list. If you can get pricing down into the Petco range (for that glass level) for local folks and can get the 75'5, 90's, 125's and 150's (and larger) at really good prices I think you may have a real market here.

I don't know if plus $20 makes any sense except in the larger sizes but that's your call - just remember that 5% of something is a lot more than any percentage of nothing.

Chris -

If wholesale is below Petco Sale prices (depending on the size and brand your selling) for larger tanks you may have a motherlode here. As you are probably aware the Petco prices are $1.00 per gallon but they only sell certain sizes - generally they sell 10, 20L, 20H, 29, 40 breeders and 55's for that price but in the latest sale they were only selling 10, 20L and 40 Breeders - they would not sell me a 20H cause it was not on the sale list. If you can get pricing down into the Petco range (for that glass level) for local folks and can get the 75'5, 90's, 125's and 150's (and larger) at really good prices I think you may have a real market here.

I don't know if plus $20 makes any sense except in the larger sizes but that's your call - just remember that 5% of something is a lot more than any percentage of nothing.

During the summer I can do something close to what petco does on larger tanks. The reason why I do plus $20 is to help pay for the freight. For example a 125 wholesale for me is $345 shipping to get it here is $120. Also 5% is 17.50 so I'm pretty close to 5% asking for $20. I am only a fish maintenance company. I might order fish tanks four times a year. If we can get several people interested in some tanks Ill drop the price of $20 down.

Last edited:

eden2020

Members
Fish tanks..

I don't mean to continue the slight derailment of the original post. But I beg to differ on having a "market".. I have been trying to sell a 150 gallon tall brand new, with lights, glass tops, and undergravel filter on a new 2x4 stand for $400 for a couple months. I was even willing to bring it to the meeting. Hasn't sold. I am guessing that's lower than Petco especially with the stand (wood was $40 or so, plus screws, build time, etc..)

Just my two cents..

-Marc

Grundsau

Members
I have a 7 foot long glass tank with cabinet stand. Covers that came with it are in rough shape. The center glass brace is more than 12" wide, so you should be able to find replacement covers that will work. I think it was an Oceanic. It's 18" deep and if I remember right, 20" high. The gallons worked out to be 135-140 if I remember right. It was holding water and running when I picked it up last month for $350. I live in Allentown, PA. I'm willing to meet you half way, or maybe bring to the next meeting if weather is decent.

turfboss

Members
Wow - I agree with Marc's comment on the "market" here - if wholesale on a 125 tank is $350 plus $120 for shipping then I don't think there is a market. Keep watching Craig's list and follow the forums for who is selling (getting out of the business or moving and not taking tanks) - I bought 4 - 75 gal tanks (each split with a glass divider - so I have 8 37.5 gal tanks - commercial grade and stackable) for $200 locally - with lights, glass covers, etc and I bought 2 -150 gal tanks locally (former CCA member) with home made wooden stand to stack them for $300.00 - all tanks in almost perfect shape - so there are sellers out there and the prices are WAY below new list prices and it appears quite a bit below new wholesale pricing.

tremper

Members
Thanks Jeff, I'll check on that CL posting.

I found a 135 in York yesterday, spent an hour dirving each way only to find it was far from what they guy said it was. Again, if ANYONE sees or is selling 6' with a stand please send me a PM!

TIA....