• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WON ProHeat 300w titanium heater FAILURE

kewx

Members
My WON heater failed after a little over a year! It just stopped working. The temperature dropped from 80 to 67 overnight on my Angel/Discus 65 gal tank. Luckly, I had another heater. It looks like the fish will be ok. What the heck happened? I thought they were good heaters! No warranty after a year! Anybody have the same problem? HELP! Any ideas?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Geothermal.

This is when being a member of the CCA about to host the ACA is useful (not to say that's not true at other times as well). Mail a nice letter indicating as much along with the heater back to the WON Company (a couple bucks) and politely suggest/infer/imply that you would hate to have to report to the National Aquarium Community that their products are sub-standard and that you're certain this is an aberration in an otherwise distinguished product line and mightn't they replace the heater since it's all of thee weeks out of warranty. If it's a really good letter you might even get two.

bschuhart

Members
MIne has been working for 5 years and still OK.

Mine is the one with the knob thermastat not the digital one.

toddnbecka

Members
I've had 2 of the old-style 250w Stealth heaters turn bad in the last month. The first one was in a 33L, cooked some little cichlid fry but didn't seem to bother the BN or endler's. The other was just last week in a 40 breeder, raised the temp to about 84 but no harm done. I'm thinking to replace them with Finnex brand heaters from Ken's.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I hope everyone realizes that PetCo, PetSmart, Ken's, et al. are exchanging these.

One could actually buy a bunch of cheap ones on Ebay just to swap them for better ones. Just for the record and going forward, sympathy over Stealth heater issues probably a lean proposition. In fact at this point I think it should be considered a green light for engaging in mild to wickedly abusive commentary.

Last edited:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
One could actually buy a bunch of cheap ones on Ebay just to swap them for better ones. Just for the record and going forward, sympathy over Stealth heater issues probably a lean proposition. In fact at this point I think it should be considered a green light for engaging in mild to wickedly abusive commentary.
:eek::D;) GOOD ONE!
IM MAD I DIDNT THINK OF THAT!

STATMATT

Members
I'm throwing away four of the Stealth heaters right now. They are not the pro versions with the light though. are you suggesting that I could get a refund for them?

Right now I'm doing good with a 1000 Watt Bucket heater on a Ranco Temperature Controller.

I bought the 500W titanitum heater from JEHMCO a few months ago and I really like how this one works with the controller.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Still interested in hearing how a temp controller saves enrgy/$.

Understand they moderate voltage in relation to proximity to desired temperature so they don't waste juice on generating extra heat, but that would be at least partially offset by having to turn on more frequently as all of any 'extra' heat is not 'wasted'.

toddnbecka

Members
All the Stealth heaters have/had a lifetime guarantee, that's why I have so many of them. I thought they'd be more reliable than the visitherms, but apparently not. Marineland should still cough up a refund for the older style as well, or else replace them with glass visitherms.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
All the Stealth heaters have/had a lifetime guarantee, that's why I have so many of them. I thought they'd be more reliable than the visitherms, but apparently not. Marineland should still cough up a refund for the older style as well, or else replace them with glass visitherms.
ONE OF THE REASONS I USE THEM IS BECAUSE OF THE LIFETIME GUARANTEE. PURCHASE ONCE AND IF THEY BREAK THEY GET REPLACED. I HADVE NOT NEEDED TO REPLACE A HEATER IN 5 YEARS SO I FIGURED IT WAS JUST TIME FOR IT TO GO. HOWEVER AFTER READING SOME OTHER POSTS SOME PEOPLE HAVE HAD THEM WAY LONGER AND STILL NO ISSUES. MARINELAND IN MY EXPERIENCE WAS REALLY GOOD WITH THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE ;).

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I'm throwing away four of the Stealth heaters right now. They are not the pro versions with the light though. are you suggesting that I could get a refund for them?

I/we are. Marineland is in damage control mode right now and trying to cover all the bases. Call Petco/PetSmart and ask them - don't recall that i specified "stealth" when I spoke with them about returns/exchanges the other day - they seem to be taking any and all of them and it doesn't matter where you bought them and that you haven't a receipt. They just don't care since Marineland has apparently guaranteed payment for replacements - probably a lot cheaper than lawsuit(s) resulting from product failure and associated electrocution, personal injury, fire, etc.

emartin

Members

Yep, you can ask for a refund.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled aquarium heaters and contact United Pet Group for a free replacement aquarium heater or a full refund.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact United Pet Group at (800) 338-4896 between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's website at www.marineland.com

That is for BOTH versions of heaters, the old style and the "pro" style.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Might work but would hardly be subtle...

or necessarily reflect well on CCA as it might appear like blackmail.

On a side note, exchanged 3 Stealths for Fluval 100 M series units on Saturday at PetSmart. No questions asked, probably could have gotten bigger or more expensive heaters but I really like the clean look and length of these - the soft blue 'on' light is sweet as well. Hope they stand the test of time.

Spine

Members
My WON heater failed after a little over a year! It just stopped working. The temperature dropped from 80 to 67 overnight on my Angel/Discus 65 gal tank. Luckly, I had another heater. It looks like the fish will be ok. What the heck happened? I thought they were good heaters! No warranty after a year! Anybody have the same problem? HELP! Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure I have the same heater as you. Mine just failed and I opened it up to see if I could find the cause. On mine it appears to be caused by a failed fusible/thermal link. I'm gonna go by Radio Shack and see if they sell a replacement.

If they sell it mine is a easy repair. Cut out the old one and solder the new one in.If you could post a pic of yours it would help ID what one you have. I'll post some pick of mine disassembled and how to repair it along with the usual disclaimers so no one gets hurt.:D