• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Winter storm

Ading522

Members
Anyone of our members still on the road today? Be safe! To those bugged down at home, stay warm, get the fireplace up and hot! Check your fishes and heaters.. I already had another one malfunction and lost three fishes today..glad I had an extra replacement to put in..

Sent from my Xoom using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I'm only missing fuel for my gen we got one when my wife was pregnant but it's big enough to run my tanks too. Hope everyone is doing what they can.
@Aldrich I think we can try put a list of important/useful numbers up like Pepco BG&E etc...

Montgomery county call 311

Outside of Montgomery County, call 240-777-0311

(for the hearing impaired) number is 240-773-3556

Police & Fire Emergency, 911

Fire Non-Emergency, 240-683-6520

Police Non-Emergency, 301-279-8000

24-Hour Emergency Preparedness Hotline, 240-777-4200

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'm in Montreal, where it is -23C (about -8F). Snowing lightly, with a stiff breeze, so the windchill is -36C (-33F).

I'm reading that DC is going to get an inch of snow and high winds. What's the big deal?

Ading522

Members
I'm in Montreal, where it is -23C (about -8F). Snowing lightly, with a stiff breeze, so the windchill is -36C (-33F).

I'm reading that DC is going to get an inch of snow and high winds. What's the big deal?

Not much of a big deal.. Just for people who are driving to stay safe.. Its not much yes, but it could still lead to an accident.. Just as well as rain does.

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
People are not use to the snow, city was not designed for it...example say NY or Michigan have the right truck and fleets maybe not as many pot holes etc... Our water mains break more than anywhere else because they are the oldest when snow melts it puddles and freezes because it has no where to go. Doesn't mean people should freak out. But people do

jonclark96

Past CCA President
We already have around 3" at my house in Frederick. Hoping that it clears up overnight and they can get the roads clear in the morning. After being away from work for the holiday, I can afford to miss another day.

Leffler817

CCA Members
People are not use to the snow, city was not designed for it...example say NY or Michigan have the right truck and fleets maybe not as many pot holes etc...

Oh no! I grew up in western New York, they have more pot holes than you can shake a stick at!?!?! It redonkulous when the area gets a dusting of snow and everything shuts down.... :)

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Oh no! I grew up in western New York, they have more pot holes than you can shake a stick at!?!?! It redonkulous when the area gets a dusting of snow and everything shuts down.... :)

Lol when I've been to New York you guys have handling snow down to an organized science same can be said for your sanitation pick and processing. As for the pot holes I guess I should rephrase and say in my few trips I haven't seen that many.

Leffler817

CCA Members
All of the schools on the shore are closed already tomorrow. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Run for your li..... Oh wait it's just snow falling.... :rolleyes:

Lol when I've been to New York you guys have handling snow down to an organized science same can be said for your sanitation pick and processing. As for the pot holes I guess I should rephrase and say in my few trips I haven't seen that many.

You must have went up there just after the construction season, aka 'summer'. Before the awesome plows tore up the roads....

They are good though. That snowmageddon we had a few years ago, we wouldn't have missed a day of school. Not even a delay. My wife's school was closed for two weeks.

zackcrack00

Members
All of the schools on the shore are closed already tomorrow. The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Run for your li..... Oh wait it's just snow falling.... :rolleyes:

You must have went up there just after the construction season, aka 'summer'. Before the awesome plows tore up the roads....

They are good though. That snowmageddon we had a few years ago, we wouldn't have missed a day of school. Not even a delay. My wife's school was closed for two weeks.

The schools are closed?!?!?! YESSSSS!!!!! Wait are Maryland/ Frederick County Schools closed?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
http://www.nbcwashington.com/weather/school-closings/
Looks like it. I used to hate school closing as a kid bc we would have to make them up in the summer.
I think after a set number thought

For snowmaggedon we lost power for a week. So glad we had a gas stove boiled water to shower with we also hung by the giant sliding door to take in the sun...man simple thing in life lol.
Didn't have fish at the time(thank god)...our dogs took it like champs though.

Last edited:

JasonC

Members
So funny... the difference in response that comes with age when you hear that school is out... My poor 4 yr old is suffering from a broken heart right now cause she was supposed to go back to preschool today and now has to wait *all the way* til Monday before she gets to see her preschool friends today. ;P

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
MD does not have the snow removal budget that NY and many northern states do. We also have many suburbs with a mix of private and public roads.

As a result, we blow our budget after one or two small storms and our sidestreets and sudewalks take longer to get treated.

No one wants their child walking on an icy sidewalk or standing at an icy bus stop. School bus drivers have the same limited snow experience as the rest of us. The bulk of their routes take them onto these untreated side streets. The busses are not fitted with snow tires. One bus crash puts up to 55 young lives in harm's way. Simply put, the risk is too great.