• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

will the floor hold?

dlfn1

Members
i have a 90 gallon that i want to put in the living room.
probably a dumb question, but will the floor hold? i would imagine house builders make floors to with stand a certain amount of weight. *shrug*

TheNewGuy

Members
yes

it would depend on how the house is built and which way your floor trusses run but i dont think it would be an issue. typically they would be 18 or 24 inches apart and be a 2x10 or 2x12 hope this helps

Andrew

Members
I've never seen a 90 gallon tank be a problem except once in a really old, decrepit home. It's about 1000 lbs total for the system, or three big guys standing next to each other.

davidhusker

Members
It will be fine. Not a dumb question, better safe than sorry.

I had a 125 in a home built in the 1800s... seriously. When you get into the 200+ gallons you have to start looking at the structure.

emartin

Members
As long as the 90g goes against a wall, yes it will be fine.

I have a 265g, 120g, 29g, 20g, and a 30g all filled with water in my dining room with an oak china cabinet, dining room table, and at one point had ~15-20 guests in that room. The floor held just fine :).

dlfn1

Members
interesting......thanks for the info everyone.

i was curious as to what i had, so i went to the basement and measured.....
2x8x12 that are 17" apart measured from outside edge to outside edge.
where i was thinking of putting the tank, it would be parallel to the joists.
an interesting read, albeit long...
http://board.fishchannel.com/Topic168801-32-1.aspx
might add some more joists since i can actually get to them, just in case. drop ceiling in basement so reasonably easy to get to. and maybe change to perpendicular to the joists, but then it would be on a dividing wall.

MonteSS

Members
One 2 x 10 can easily hold a car. Multiple joist spread the load and can hold an enormous amount of weight.

...Bill

kaj41354

Members
When you look at it in pounds per sq. ft., the average refrigerator is much more weight than most aquariums. A 125 is less than 1500 pounds with stand and all which is approx. 167 lbs per sq. ft. - I think I am actually more stress on the floor than that!

mrkillie

Members
As Kurt implied, it is actually pressure that is more of a factor than total weight. The pressure exerted will depend on the type of stand that you are using. Kurt seems to be using a cabinet type that has a full bottom - some do not! A cabinet that has an open bottom will have a greater pressure exerted over a smaller contact area.

An iron stand would exert a heckuva lot more pressure because the feet are a lot smaller than the bottom of the whole tank! The pressure exerted by the tank on the floor using an iron stand would be along the lines of 1500 lbs./sq. in. In this case, you would want to make sure that the feet of the stand are directly over the joists or as close as possible so as not to punch through the subflooring.

But you're probably using a cabinet stand anyway, right?

dlfn1

Members
it's actually a 2x4 stand.
two 2x4's making each corner and 2x4 around the bottom. i didn't make it, it's what the tank came with.
the 2x4's on each corner make an 'L'. tried to copy and paste a rough sketch from paint but it wouldn't let me.

emartin

Members
If you're worried about weight distribution you could always just put a piece of plywood underneath the stand, that will divide the weight up very nicely.