• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Will Marineland 36 Glass top fit an Aqueon 40B?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I know that the two tops are different sizes. I have both the marineland and aequeon tops, and one is about 1/4" longer and doesn't fit in the frame of my tank. I just can't remember which manufacturer I have.

No it will not.

You need the 36 x 18 glass top for a 40 breeder. Marineland 40 breeders have a center brace and the glass top is split into two and each side rests on the center brace. Aqueon 40 breeders do not have a center brace and the glass top goes all the way across.

Andy

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Interestingly enough, I have 2 40 breeders without center braces. I guess the tanks are about 2 years old. I picked them up from the tanks we got for the ACA convention. On the tanks, I have two 36" wide glass tops, one from Marineland and one from Aequeon. The Marineland top fits perfectly. The Aequeon top is about 1/4" too long to sit flush in the frame on the top of the tank.

UPG did provide the tanks for the CCA ACA convention so they are probably Marineland tanks. It's possible that Marineland does make a 40 breeder without a center brace and just uses a special glass top for the 40 breeder.

However if you look at the Fosters and Smith website they do not sell a 40 breeder glass canopy for tanks without a center brace. They sell a 36" (which is only 9" wide) for 30 gallon tanks, and a 36" x 18" for 50, 65, and 40 breeder with a center brace.

So neither of these glass canopies would be appropriate for a tank without a center brace.

Of course the Aqueon Versa top for a 40 breeder would fit the Aqueon tank which would solve the OP's original problem. You can find on at Petsolutions here:
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Hoods-Canopies/I/Aqueon-Versa-Tops.aspx

Andy