• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wild Type Convict Pics

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Per the request from Andrew in my other picture thread, here are some of my wild type convicts.

First, amatitlania (or cryptoheros) kanna Rio Robalo from Panama. The male has some really nice yellows. The female is young, as she is a generation younger than the male. I lost my original female and was lucky enough to get another one from Matt's pair.

100_0053.jpg

100_0054.jpg

100_0055.jpg

100_0056.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Next is my a. siquia Rio Cabayo male and the fry tank. You can see some of the yellows starting to come out. The female wouldn't come out to play...

100_0052.jpg

100_0066.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Last is my pair of a. siquia Rio Claro. This was the first wild type of con that I kept. Generally they stay a bit darker than other cons I have kept. They are in a community grow out tank so I don't get any fry from them. You can see a few of their tank mates in the pics.

100_0062.jpg

100_0069.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'll try to get pics of some of my others in the next few days. I have a pair from Grenada Nicaragua, Lake Nicaragua, and Lake Coatepeque.

mscichlid

Founder
No wonder you don't get many fry in the last tank. There is a pike in there. LOL

I like the Rio Robalo. Nice.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had my cabayo pair separated, as the male put a serious beating on the female when I moved them to a different tank. I put them back together today after a water change and they immediately went into courtship mode. Here are some pics that show the colors really popping out.

100_0082.jpg

100_0084.jpg

100_0085.jpg

100_0087.jpg

100_0088.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I also had a very young pair of coatepeques spawn this week. I pulled the wigglers into a net breeder. Dad continues to guard them in the net. Momma was not happy. Also a pic of one of the others in the tank.

100_0094.jpg

100_0096.jpg

100_0097.jpg

100_0091.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - I have some fry of the A. kanna growing out (a little too small to sell right now).

Remind me for the April meeting and they should be big enough...

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The coatepeques were moved into a larger tank last week. I have seven total, 3 males and 4 females. The smallest female is in pretty rough shape, but there are definitely two pairs guarding opposite ends of the 55. Here are some pictures from this evening.

Pics 1 & 3 are one female in breeding coloration
Pic 2 & 5 are pair #2 guarding a piece of driftwood
Pic 4 is pair #1 with a not so good picture of the male in breeding dress
Pic 6 is the extra male in normal coloration.

Oddly enough, the female coatepeques do not have the familiar bright orange bellies that most convicts do. They have a slight silver patch that is definitely noticeable but not that different of a color.

100_0175.jpg

100_0178.jpg

100_0186.jpg

100_0187.jpg

100_0188.jpg

100_0192.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Really awesome, Jon!

Love the pattern on the breeding female...

Those are probably the first (and only) pics of breeding A. coatepeque in the entire world!

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
The only fish in the hobby were hand collected by a guy from Chicago who went on vacation there...brought some back for himself...and gave some fry to Jon and me...

Matt