• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Why does this happen as soon as you leave for vacation??

I NEVER go on vacation. Decided I had to visit the family in California (parents aren't getting any younger) and was literally in the air only a few hours when the power went out in my house. Two of my lovely neighbors immediately sprang into action knowing how neurotic I am about my fish. They came in and starting hunting for my big back-up batteries to plug the filters into. The house sitter knew where they were, but she hadn't arrived at the house yet. Apparently power was off for two hours and came back on just as they figured it out. Of course, the little AC on the 10-gallon with my favorite BN pleco did not restart. I couldn't explain to the non-fish neighbor how to deal with that, so I had to walk her through catching the fish and dumping it into one of the tanks. Fortunately, he was a hardy beast and survived the transfer. Whew. But why does this happen as soon as you leave??

Of course, the BBA is now out of control again in my planted tank as it went without a water change (and probably other assorted issues) for almost two weeks. I'll deal with it this weekend I guess.

the good news is all fish survived. My housesitter actually did a cichlid head count every day!!! :)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Murphy's Law. Very glad to hear everyone survived. That is a great housesitter to have. I can see the ad now: Seeking responsible individual to care for house while away, must be clean and neat, special consideration given to anyone with fish keeping experience. Please provide references for fish experience.

She is an exceptionally responsible person. I left her one sheet of instructions for each of my three tanks -- complete with measuring spoons for how much food for each tank. To err on the side of caution, I only had her feeding every other day. And to make it more complicated, I'd recently had ick in one tank and while I thought it was gone, I told her to treat that tank like "poison" and always handle it last -- just in case. She was very good spirited about it all!