• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WHICH WOULD YOU PREFER?

Just curious to know if you had your choice between the 40 breeder rack or 40 long rack, which would you prefer? I plan to build a rack 2 to 3 tier. What would best for typical growout? Let me know what you guys think. I plan to squeeze some extra tanks in the last bit of space I have in the storage area underneath my basement steps-just enough room to fit a few more tanks.:wacko:

Gerard

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I would go with the breeders too. The surface area allows for greater oxygen exchange, while the width allows for more growing room. If you are not looking to use the tanks for fry, then I would consider the adult size of the fish and base my decision on that.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You could use the wider (breeder) tanks on the bottom row of the rack...and the thinner longer ones on the uppers.

A combination is best :)

fischfan13

Banned
I use four footers.
More growout room...especially for Mbuna and Haps.
Larger tank surface?...They are almost identical.
Growouts, for the most part, would do better with length than width.

Thanks for the responses, now I have to decide which will work best for that small space. Trying to make a decision before Scales sell all their tanks. Will let you guys know what I decide.

Gerard

Jumbie

Members
If it was me and I was working with a small amount of space than I would use a 40 breeder. I wish I could do my fish room over and use the 40 breeders and not the 20L that I have now.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
You could use the wider (breeder) tanks on the bottom row of the rack...and the thinner longer ones on the uppers.

A combination is best :)
I am with Matt. I like to have the bottom tanks protrude so I can put less vertiacl space between them and still have lots of access space. I don't like tanks less than 17 inches from the floor. I like the storage space below and tanks too low tend to get ignored. I am old with creaky joints. I cannot see what is in those bottom tanks and I have my fish to look at them. If you cannot see them, why have them?

Georgel

mrkillie

Members
Just curious to know if you had your choice between the 40 breeder rack or 40 long rack, which would you prefer? I plan to build a rack 2 to 3 tier. What would best for typical growout? Let me know what you guys think. I plan to squeeze some extra tanks in the last bit of space I have in the storage area underneath my basement steps-just enough room to fit a few more tanks.:wacko:

Gerard

If you have the length available for a 40L, and the width available for a 40 breeder, why wouldn't you use 75s?

Joel

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Both are great tanks, I'd see what would fit the best in the space you have. I personally like the 40L's, but if I could get more tanks in a small space by using the breeders I wouldn't hesitate.