• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's in your cabinet?

Thought this would be a good idea for a thread. Everyone has those few favorite products they always have on hand under the tank. What are yours? Lets exclude prime because That's probably on everyones list. So what are your favorites?

Antibiotic- seachem kanaplex
General-melafix, salt, sodium carbonate, epsom.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Raises the general hardness of water and some say it shares the same benifits as salt. Rift lake cichlids like a high general hardness (epsom) and carbonate hardness (baking soda). I use them both as buffers

ddavila06

Members
ah cool! well my closet is lacking stuff...
i do have clout that treats fungal stuff and a wide range of slimes and stuff..
i also won an ick cure thing..
i should probably get some fish salt for emergency needs..

i do have excel for algae treatment and flourish iron as well as root tabs. lots of fry foods also and a bag of medicated fish food also.

Ya know I have all sorts of meds but no medicated foods. Can't find em anywhere, anyone know the names of any good ones?

chriscoli

Administrator
Long handled BBQ tongs. Bruce bought me my own set since I kept stealing his....many of my tanks are deep so unless I'm feeling like getting my armpits wet, I use the tongs to grab whatever it is I've dropped into the tank.

Just a heads up, I stopped buying the regular melafix. It is a 1% solution the saltwater is 1.5% the cichlid formula is 2% and they are all the same price. Here's the kicker, the pond melafix is 5% and its cheaper the big jug of 5% pond melafix is the same price as the med. Regular melafix and I cap treats 100g. That's like buying one bottle and getting 4 free ones. Atleast the way I see it. My fish can't tell the difference.

verbal

CCA Members
Just a heads up, I stopped buying the regular melafix. It is a 1% solution the saltwater is 1.5% the cichlid formula is 2% and they are all the same price. Here's the kicker, the pond melafix is 5% and its cheaper the big jug of 5% pond melafix is the same price as the med. Regular melafix and I cap treats 100g. That's like buying one bottle and getting 4 free ones. Atleast the way I see it. My fish can't tell the difference.

I think dilluting the oil(I am pretty melafix is tea tree oil) yourself is even cheaper. Pimafix is also basically a diluted oil.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have the vials of each that Sam group ordered for us.

Anyone remember the correct ratio of each to distilled water?

For whatever reason, Petsmart sells the pond Pima/Mela Fix for a couple of bucks for the big container at the end of pond season. I stocked up last time I saw it.

Matt

I think dilluting the oil(I am pretty melafix is tea tree oil) yourself is even cheaper. Pimafix is also basically a diluted oil.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Other than Pimafix and Melafix, the only other chemical/med I keep is Chloram-X (chlorine / chloramine remover). It never hurts to have some Indian Almond Leaves and alder cones (anti-fungal) around...

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
what is epson salt good for?

Raises the general hardness of water and some say it shares the same benifits as salt. Rift lake cichlids like a high general hardness (epsom) and carbonate hardness (baking soda). I use them both as buffers

I always thought that epsom salts were used as a general laxative to aid in digestion issues.

chriscoli

Administrator
I always thought that epsom salts were used as a general laxative to aid in digestion issues.

I hear that a lot, too, but I'm not convinced....

Epsom salts are a laxative if people take them....but that doesnt' mean it works that way in fish. Does anyone have any hard evidence that this actually works the same way in fish?

mchambers

Former CCA member

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks Matt!

I've honestly never had positive (or negative) effects dosing fish with Epsom salt. Or regular salt for that manner.

Ken (among others) swears by it as an ich preventative (for stressed fish...like freshly collected ones).

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
Thanks Matt!

I've honestly never had positive (or negative) effects dosing fish with Epsom salt. Or regular salt for that manner.

Ken (among others) swears by it as an ich preventative (for stressed fish...like freshly collected ones).

Matt

I don't doubt that it's helpful for many things....it's a great osmoregulator! But I'm just skeptical as its utility at relieving fish constipation, unless fish constipation is related to osmoregulation....which it might be.