• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What would you want in a Fishroom - Hypothetically Speaking

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Ok, so here's a question (Matt's Dexter comment made me wonder about it). Given the choice, is it better to have a completely unfinished room, or a room with finished walls but no carpet?
Finished walls give you room to hang shelves, mount PVC for air systems, etc. As long as you can keep the room dry/warm, I'd rather have finished walls.

Unfinished walls mean no insulation, which could make heating the room inefficient.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Your recent experiences have been very much at the front of my mind with regards to this....I may have to pick your brain in the near future.
Absolutely, would be glad to consult. Your real estate agent may not understand, but make sure they know its a priority, otherwise they may waste your time with some of the showings. I'm sure Bruce will appreciate it being considered before a purchase...

chriscoli

Administrator
Finished walls give you room to hang shelves, mount PVC for air systems, etc. As long as you can keep the room dry/warm, I'd rather have finished walls.

Unfinished walls mean no insulation, which could make heating the room inefficient.

Very good points.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good comments so far. Looks like most of the wants/needs are covered. I'd prefer finished walls to unfinished, but I don't think it matters much as long as the room is insulated well. In a perfect world for me, I'd want a floor drain in the fishroom just in case of spills.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yup

Good comments so far. Looks like most of the wants/needs are covered. I'd prefer finished walls to unfinished, but I don't think it matters much as long as the room is insulated well. In a perfect world for me, I'd want a floor drain in the fishroom just in case of spills.
+1

I could have used one of those yesterday. Long story.

Becca

Members
Mine is small and in an unfinished room in our lower level (split level home). It's actually shares space with the water heater and HVAC, so the room has a floor drain and it helps cut costs a bit on heating.

I like the unfinished floor because spills clean up very easily. I do plan to put an indoor/outdoor rug in there at some point.

Two of my walls are cinderblock (mostly underground) and two are unfinished. The unfinished walls are shared with finished ones. This works well for me for a couple of reasons.

First - one of the walls is shared with our den which has a wood stove in it. That room gets REALLY toasty in the winter and helps keep the fish room warm because the heat radiates through the wall into the room. That is also the wall the tanks are on.

Second - when my dad and I built the rack system he very purposefully put the middle vertical support off center, not just because it would allow me to better accommodate tanks, but because it made at least two of the vertical supports line up with the studs for the wall to the other room, which were visible and very easy to find/measure between on an unfinished wall. This, and some really good thinking courtesy of Josh, let me make sure the rack was VERY securely mounted to the wall. This is pretty important with a toddler who treats the house like his very own jungle-gym.

JasonC

Members
Walls... think I would prefer to buy unfinished. That way I could insulate and then put up green board instead of standard drywall..

Cichlid Lips

Members
If I may add a little info on the "green board" I'd like to shed a little light. For years we have had what we called in the industry green board. It used to be the only green board and it is used in bathroom normally in shower enclosures or around tub surrounds. Things of that nature that were later going to have a tile, or some other substrate installed over it.

In today's society there is a huge misconception of what it really is, and how it is supposed to be used.

Not to bore anyone with technical facts, but here are two from the National Gypsum Company.

National Gypsum Company said:
What type of gypsum board would you recommend for use on the walls and ceiling of my indoor swimming enclosure?

None. Gypsum board (including green board) is NOT recommended for use where there will be direct exposure to water or continuous high humidity conditions such as found in saunas, steam rooms, gang shower rooms or swimming pool enclosures, per ASTM C890. A cementatious tile backer, such as PermaBase®, or the use of a Portland cement based plaster system should be considered.

My home was in a flood and the gypsum board in my basement was exposed to flood water. Do I have to replace the gypsum board in my basement?

Yes, gypsum board that has been soaked by floodwater can be a permanent health hazard. When the gypsum board finally dries, there will still be mud and contaminants dried inside and to the gypsum board.

Also in terms of it being mold resistant, the product is only as good as what you have either put on top of it like a mold resistant paint, but if it is up against say a normal 2x4 or 2x6 wall, mold will form at the wood in high levels of moisture so it's not quite as cut and dry as one would think by the way it is advertised.

I am a semi retired General contractor/master craftsman and have done 50+ fish rooms all over the country. Currently working on my own ATM and unless I was doing say a tile mosaic on a wall, I wouldn't spend the extra 4 or 5 bucks a sheet to use green board. It's a little stronger than normal, but in terms of water resistant, it's just not. The paint you use over it is Key.

As far as things I would be looking for near the fish area? Where, or how close is the main electrical panel, and how close are we to the sump in the basement. So long as those two items are fairly close, anything can be done.
;)

My fishroom floor is recessed 4" from the walkout basement level. This help to make sure the basement drywalls do not touch the fishroom floor. The only walls that comes down to the fishroom floor has metal studs like the commercial buildings. I also used the 'yellow board' (DensShield) instead of 'green board', which is basically a tile backer. A utility sink and floor drain is pretty important in a fishroom. A window is also nice to provide some natural light.

JasonC

Members
Most green board manufacturers say explicitly to *not* use their product as a tile backer. That's still the exclusive domain of Hardibacker or cement board. Green board difference is that it has paper that is somewhat water resistant and mold/mildew resistant. And that's *resistant* not *proof*. Its meant for high humidity areas, but still will not stand direct water contact as it is still just regular old gypsum inside.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Sounds like what everyone wants is MAB's house. ;)

Blaise

And I say that only because I've never been to Frank Cowherd's.

Last edited:

zackcrack00

Members
For me, I think the biggest thing is space. I think you've all seen I'm interested in many kinds of fish from Mbuna to mollies, so I want space for large growout tanks (75+ gallons). But it'd be nice if my fishroom came with a $500 gift card to kens! :p LOL, I think we'd all want that. And unfinished walls, please. And a drain in the floor, heat, etc etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
For me, I think the biggest thing is space. I think you've all seen I'm interested in many kinds of fish from Mbuna to mollies, so I want space for large growout tanks (75+ gallons). But it'd be nice if my fishroom came with a $500 gift card to kens! :p LOL, I think we'd all want that. And unfinished walls, please. And a drain in the floor, heat, etc etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Agreed!

Well, if these are all of your requirements, then I have the perfect house for you that is for sale across the street from me. And there are three basement level walkout entries from the backyard and a place for an outdoor pond.

LOL!

Arlene

chriscoli

Administrator
Well, if these are all of your requirements, then I have the perfect house for you that is for sale across the street from me. And there are three basement level walkout entries from the backyard and a place for an outdoor pond.

LOL!

Arlene

Well, then there are The Husband's requirements......gourmet kitchen and an easy commute....