• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

what to breed

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I set up a 30 gallon for a group of balzani -3 3 inch females and 1 4 inch male. Later realizing that tank is way to small, I moved them into a 55.
Now I have an open 30. I don't want to breed a live bearer, I'd rather the fry be able to be raised with parents but if not I'd be fine setting up a 10
gallon on standby, I'd want the fish to be cool because the tank is in my living room.

Thank you

verbal

CCA Members
It might be a cool tank for a lamprologous brichardi or julidochromis colony. They don't have the brightest coloration, but their behavior is interesting.

verbal

CCA Members
They need caves for spawning, but most of the mentioned species are relatively easy to spawn.

If you want a new world option, Jon's Krobia or a pair of Bolivian rams might be a good option. With planting(java moss is great for this purpose) and just the pair in the tank, you should have some fry survive.

Leffler817

CCA Members
How about some Victorians or Madagascar fish? Any CARES fish would be cool. Most Victorians are mouth brooders, put a pile of rocks in the tank and add fish. I'm not sure how Madagascar fish are though. Matt would know and Dave has some very cool ones in stock...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
I have this awesome pair of Dicrossus maculatus...:pound:

Just kidding! Although, if you want a challenge, Jeff Michels is selling pairs.

zackcrack00

Members
What about apistos??? Frank C. has some some REALLY REALLY REALLY nice rams. Combine those with a few schools of tetras and plant it.... You've got an awesome, colorful tank. If you want a challenge, do A LOT of rockwork with at least 20 good hiding places and get yourself a young group (12-16) Pseudotropheus Demasoni. Just overfilter. A lot. Like 4 sponges or so. You'd need the ten for grow-outs.

verbal

CCA Members
Leleupi would be great for the tank. Check with mark if he has some. I can check with another guy if mark doesn't have them. I would try to start with 6 sub adults. Once a pair has formed you want to remove extra.

ErnieG

Members
Go with some color like firemouths, blue acara, red jewels, electric blue ram, nicaraguense, angelfish.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I don't think you can get much more colorful than africans, plus I want to learn something new. I've only bred texas, jds, and balzani.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I loved my leleupi! I suggest getting 6-8 to be sure that you have at least one male and female. Some rule of percentages applies here... 6-8 was what I was told to get when I started out. My males grew to 6" or so and the females were closer to 4". I kept all 8 together in a 4' community tank and lost only two, but I do not think that was because of aggression. I built two rock piles at each end of the tank and had two pairs alternate breeding.

daninmd

Members
What about apistos??? Frank C. has some some REALLY REALLY REALLY nice rams. Combine those with a few schools of tetras and plant it.... You've got an awesome, colorful tank. If you want a challenge, do A LOT of rockwork with at least 20 good hiding places and get yourself a young group (12-16) Pseudotropheus Demasoni. Just overfilter. A lot. Like 4 sponges or so. You'd need the ten for grow-outs.

would definitely advise against getting demasoni for a 30g tank. combined with the small tank and small amount of fish, that's a blood bath just waiting to happen :eek:

verbal

CCA Members
would definitely advise against getting demasoni for a 30g tank. combined with the small tank and small amount of fish, that's a blood bath just waiting to happen :eek:

Leleupi are a much better choice for the tank size. There are some potential aggression issues to watch out for/manage, but it should work out well.