• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What to breed?

Forester

Members
Hey everyone I have started emptying a few tanks and want to try to breed some type of new world cichlid. I have a 33g available right now and soon a 29g and a 10g will be available. I want to breed something that is not common place. All ideas are welcome. Thank you.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey everyone I have started emptying a few tanks and want to try to breed some type of new world cichlid. I have a 33g available right now and soon a 29g and a 10g will be available. I want to breed something that is not common place. All ideas are welcome. Thank you.

How about archeocentarus centarchus? I'm sure I misspelled that.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Centrarchus are awesome fish, but those tanks would be tight for a breeding pair, in my opinion. I have my group in a 75 right now. The smallest I would go would be a 40 breeder, and even then I'd have a divider handy.

You could go with one of the less common cryptoheros species, like myrnae, nanotuteus, or spilurus. None are that easy to come by, but would be great to have more available in the hobby.

You could also try some of the smaller thorichthys species. I've heard folks having luck keeping them in groups in a 4 foot tank.

Forester

Members
Okay im either going to do a type of thorichthys or cryptoheros.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Jeff Rapps has spilurus and t. aureus on his list now. If those are of interest, scoop them up now before he sells out. They don't show up on lists very often.

Forester

Members
I'm going on vacation for a few weeks so I'll have time to think about it.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Okay im either going to do a type of thorichthys or cryptoheros.

You can do c. sajica or t. ellioti. Congressional has a few sajica and a small ellioti.

Forester

Members
The 10 gallon would be perfect for an apisto pair.

Once I get it emptied i think I'm gonna get a pair of pelvichromis taeniatus Nigerian red from aquatic clarity.

Forester

Members
Centrarchus are awesome fish, but those tanks would be tight for a breeding pair, in my opinion. I have my group in a 75 right now. The smallest I would go would be a 40 breeder, and even then I'd have a divider handy.

You could go with one of the less common cryptoheros species, like myrnae, nanotuteus, or spilurus. None are that easy to come by, but would be great to have more available in the hobby.

You could also try some of the smaller thorichthys species. I've heard folks having luck keeping them in groups in a 4 foot tank.

I just bought a group of 6 cryptoheros nanotuteus on aqua bid. These will go into the 33g. For the 29g I'm trying to find thorichthys ellioti. If anyone has any I want to buy them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good stuff on the nanoluteus - nice fish!

T. ellioti is now known as T. maculipinnis. They're one of the larger and more aggressive Thoricthys.

Matt

I just bought a group of 6 cryptoheros nanotuteus on aqua bid. These will go into the 33g. For the 29g I'm trying to find thorichthys ellioti. If anyone has any I want to buy them.

Forester

Members
Then I will not do the ellioti. So I will put the taeniatus in the 29g

Forester

Members
Well look at you go :) Nicely done! Can't wait to see those new fish you picked up. Any idea when they're shipping?

It'll be two weeks cause I'm going on vacation. I'm getting 6 for 7.50 each plus shipping. Once I pick my pair I'll sell the other four. The pelvichromis are coming in mid to late august.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good decision on the nanos and putting the pelvicachromis in the 29. Hope to see some fry from both in the future!