• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What Kind of Fish Do You Primarily Keep?

What Kind of Fish Do You Primarily Keep?

• Malawi Cichlids

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Lake Tang Cichlids

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Big New World Cichlids

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Medium New World Cichlids

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Dwarf Cichlids

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other Cichlids

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other Fish Than Cichlids

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

dogofwar

CCA Members
What kind of fish do you primarily keep?

Yes - I know that they're not mutually exclusive...but please just choose one.

Great input for speakers, group buys, sponsors, etc. :)

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Oooooh hard to choose since I have a little of this and a little of that.

+1. What should I pick, Matt?

6 Malawi tanks
2 Tang tanks
2 Vic tanks
4 Pleco tanks
1 Discus tank
2 Central tanks
2 SA tanks
1 West African
5 growout tanks

I guess that makes me a Malawi keeper. :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
OK - so I should have had a "little bit of everything" choice.

The future of the free world, of course, depends on your correct answer to this poll. The stakes couldn't be higher. Choose wrong and we're all doomed.

Or perhaps I'm trying to encourage folks to post a little bit ;)

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
I think another interesting discussion would be to ask....."so as you've kept fish over time, what did you start out keeping, why don't you keep it anymore, and what have you always kept?" Of course that's not so easy to capture in a poll.

I find looking at other people's (and my own) progression through fish types over time interesting.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - that's a good one!

I started with bettas...lots and lots of little jars of bettas...

Matt

I think another interesting discussion would be to ask....."so as you've kept fish over time, what did you start out keeping, why don't you keep it anymore, and what have you always kept?" Of course that's not so easy to capture in a poll.

I find looking at other people's (and my own) progression through fish types over time interesting.

dogofwar

CCA Members
No - that was when I was about 10-11!

I kept and bred fancy bettas for a few years... even joined the IBC (International Betta Congress)... Just way too much work with school, sports, job, etc. :rolleyes:

I joined the local (Dayton, OH) fish club and the cichlid forces sucked me in... although I've dabbled in all sorts of other fish, including saltwater!

Matt

So what happened to your bettas? Still keep them?

I'll chime in and say that I'm a relative beginner to the hobby, having just started last summer. That, combined with the lack of space in my house to put in big tanks, has generally made me shy away from cichlids in favor of community fish, though I did pick up a couple of apistos and rainbow cichlids from Aquamania. On that note, I'm really looking forward to April's meeting on cories. Despite my lack of cichlids, I joined CCA primarily because Silver Spring is a lot easier for me to get to than Fairfax for PVAS.

Greengirl

Members

I raised Africans with my dad when I was really little. When they died out over 6 years I replaced them with angels and some community stock and have never gone back!...Except for the little 2cm juvie pseudotropheus acei I got at aquamania. I threw him in with my old Betta in a nano (I know, dangerous idea, but it worked!)

They are both blue, so they match the decor of the tank and the company colors! Matt, did you ever coordinate your betta colors for office patriotism? :p

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
+1. What should I pick, Matt?

6 Malawi tanks
2 Tang tanks
2 Vic tanks
4 Pleco tanks
1 Discus tank
2 Central tanks
2 SA tanks
1 West African
5 growout tanks

I guess that makes me a Malawi keeper. :)

I'm sort of transitioning right now. A year ago, I had about 75% Malawi tanks, 3-4 Tang tanks and a couple of random ones. I've sort of downsized since then.

With the recent acquisitions of some big mean centrals, this will likely shift a bit more.

In the end, my favorite tank is still my 180 hap tank, so I voted Malawi. :cool: