• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What is this? Slime coat or fungus

Michael6945c

My dads Oscar seems very sick, hes breathing heavily and isn't moving or eating for 2 days now. Only sign of a problem is this stuff all over the tank
GCJ2J.jpg

I've posted on so many forums that I'm not gonna tell the whole story, but parameters are fine, water changes are 50% a week, there's nothing new in our water, no foreign chemicals were introduced, plenty of aeration and parameters are fine. Temp is 79, ph is 7.3 and water is soft. 125 gal aquarium..

Mainly I wanna know if the photo is of slime coat or fungus.. It's all over his tank and is stringing off the Oscar and is floating around.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I cannot tell what it is, but probably it is a fungus or mold growing on excess nutrients.

I would suggest the easiest thing to do with the least risk is to change 50 to 90 percent of the water daily until the problem disappears.

THe second thing you could do is add salt, aquarium salt or canning salt, that is, not iodized salt. Adding salt at 1 teaspoon full per gallon per day until you have added three teaspoons per gallon. The salt would likely disrupt the growth of the fungus or mold and would increase the slime coat of the fish making it better able to handle the situation.

The third possibility is to take the fish out and set it up in another aquarium. Then break down the aquarium with the problem, treat it with saturated salt solution, even the gravel and the rocks. Rinse out the salt with fresh water and set it back up.

Best of luck with it,

Last edited: