• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What is the correct Bleach to Water ratio for disinfection?

fischfan13

Banned
From what our resident chemist over at ECC has said, it is 2% of the tanks volume.

For Example:
50 gallon tank gets 1 gallon of bleach.

Charlutz

Members
I think that would be if you were using 50 gallons of water, Bill. Back from my beer brewing days, it's actually very little bleach. 20:1 sounds about right, so if you have a total of 2 1/2 cups of water, 1 oz of bleach will do it. If you're doing a tank, you won't need that much liquid since it's not leaving the area you are sterilizing. If you're doing something like rocks or decor and are losing liquid down the drain, you'd need more.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Disinfecting not the same as sterilizing

CDC recommends 100:1 water to bleach ratio for disinfecting "surfaces and medical equipment", 10:1 for disinfecting "excreta and bodies". If the National Center for Disease Control say 100:1 will do the trick, you can take it to the bank.

That being said, 50:1 should certainly be sufficient for any 'conventional' cleaning.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I use a couple of cups of bleach for my 33g tanks...If the tank water smells like bleach...nothings gonna be living in it :)

Matt