• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What is it about your aquaria that sort of sends you?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Seriously, what are the aspects that you really savor (no gustatory jokes please) or that give you the most satisfaction? The stuff that makes you smile almost down to your bones or just plain content...

Discovering fry or eggs is really high on my list, sure I'm hardly unique in that respect.

Seeing a couple doing their pre-mating dance/ritual might be even better as it similarly comes with an affirmation that I'm doing something right and precedes the diligence and extra effort of dealing with fry. Also often pretty and pretty entertaining in its own right.

Watching a 5 or 10 gallon tank just swarming with juveniles.

Watching Corydoras earnestly 'swim the glass' after a water change or live food orgy is pretty cool.

Discovering that your new plant species will actually thrive without CO2, supplements or the like rocks a little.

Seeing critters that you've had since they were the size of halfpennies finally color up and discover their gender.

Scaping a tank and nailing it.

Installing a new species and seeing them act like they've been there all along.

Setting up a new tank. Somewhat dangerous thrill that one, must be something about undefined prospect and possibility just waiting to happen.

Anyway, was sitting in front on my Apisto rack last night just grinning (discovered some A. barlowi fry that were a couple weeks old and hadn't even been aware that anything was going on) and thought well alright then. Made me wonder what it is about 'all this' that works for others.

mscichlid

Founder
The sight of a swarm of fry
The pre-spawning courtship of a pair that is rarely spawned or never has been spawned

These two are on the top of my list

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I love checking out different lfs stores. I like knowing that I will provide the best care I can and prevent a dependent life form from an unnecessary death. I love learning about different species and their habitats.

I like alittle of everything you listed, but my favorite has to be raising the fish from fry and seing the transformation into a breeding group.

Ive had bigger fish given to me or I purchased and was not hesitant to part with them, but the ones Ive grown I dont want to let go. Dont want to part with the fry either, but if I can share them with others they will have the same chance to watch them grow as I did.

Great thread Sam!

mdlnewman

Members
I love watching the smallest fish in my tank(occie) viciously attack the biggest(gobie) for daring to enter his zone.

mscichlid

Founder
When I get one of those I'll be able to do more than empathize. Just out of curiosity, indulge me, which ones?

When I spawned Crenicichla notophthalmus and Cr. compressiceps.

Recently, Crenicichla sp. 'Citrus pike'. They ate the fry, lost three and down to a reverse trio. They're doing the 'U' and flashing as of Saturday.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I love Checking out fish stores. I even like the chain stores just to see different fish. I get jazzed when I'm scaping the tank and it turns out great looking. Unlike yesterday when I did a wc and wifey rushed me for dinner. I'll be reshaping it this weekend. But I get stoked when I find and unexpected fry!!! That's awesome! If only I could get pictures of them.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
If you have any juvies available I'd like to hear about it.

Can't help but be intrigued by dwarf predators. And nice going - loved the quote on the web about one of the species "only having revealed their secrets to a handful of breeders worldwide". That'd be you girl. Go Prez!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I ENJOY GETTING A FISH @ 1.5" AND WATCHING HIM MORPH AS HE GROWS FROM JUVENILE TO ADULT. SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL IT IS THE SAME FISH. I JUST LOVE THE DIFFERENT PATTERNS AND COLOR CHANGES INVOLVED. I ALSO ENJOY WATCHING THEM BREED AND GO THROUGH THE COURTSHIP AS THE COLRS ARE INTENSE!

verbal

CCA Members
My favorite experience is seeing fish guarding their eggs and fry. That might be why cichlids and plecos are my 2 favorite groups of fish.

I also enjoy watching juves grow up and develop coloration.

Another exciting thing is seeing fish eat snails or seeing empty snail shells :)

F8LBITE

Members
I love schooling fish cruising around the tank and it was awesome when my big discus would all flock together and the last one seeming to say "hey, wait for me!" I also like tanks with a bunch of nooks and crannies and I watch the little guys pop their heads out for a bite of food...........sigh :(

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I love the variety and the challenge of breeding It seems every day I find new fish I want to keep. The only thing currently stopping me the lack of electrical outlets. I have an unfinished basement. But I get to build me one fish room which I and starting to frame out piece by piece.

longstocking

Members
hmmmm good questions...

I like watching behavior. Seeing them do their "thing" makes me the most happy. When I see a new behavior ( Like petros eating glass for the first time :lol: ) That's what gets me going!

illpoet

Members
Scaping a tank and nailing it.
and then as soon as you put a fish in the tank it goes right to a cave/cove that you made with the fish in mind.

i really love seeing a fish just chilling out in his little spot thats what drew me to cichlids in the first place versus any other species

zenins

Members
Another hobby I have is photography :D
I really enjoy it when I combine that with tropical fish keeping and get a really nice photo of a fish :)
The biggest challenge is to get a decent photo of a fish in a small tank in a show, occasionally it does happen and I really enjoy getting that photo ;)

Oh, and when my turquoise rainbow male turns his head blaze on and off for a female, well that is one of the most amazing mating displays I have seen :cool: