• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What is appealing about aquariums?

04rwon

Members
I think at some point or another just about everyone has kept fish atleast once in their lives. Not everyone is big in to the hobby. But if you consider how popular the National Aquarium around the country are. How people are drawn to fish tanks in stores, offices, or when you have a friend over. What is it about it?

For me, its relaxing to watch fish. I get satisfaction after setting up a tank. Theres just something about making my own little part of paradise. Before i say anymore ill see what others say.

AquaStudent

Members
I think it's looking into another world. Curiosity fuels me. I am amazed to watch these creatures that originate from a completely alien environment. An aquarium is my window into a new world.

(this may be overstepping the bounds a bit but...)
With fishkeeping I think there is also a form of a god complex with all of us. We control almost every aspect of our tanks. We are "god" to our creatures and we decide if we want to be good or bad. Most of us choose to be good (or try to be). I think this god complex is a factor in what fuels the excitement of the hobby.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not too shabby

I think it's looking into another world. Curiosity fuels me. I am amazed to watch these creatures that originate from a completely alien environment. An aquarium is my window into a new world.

(this may be overstepping the bounds a bit but...)
With fishkeeping I think there is also a form of a god complex with all of us. We control almost every aspect of our tanks. We are "god" to our creatures and we decide if we want to be good or bad. Most of us choose to be good (or try to be). I think this god complex is a factor in what fuels the excitement of the hobby.

Well alright then, you just earned yourself a free pair of Apistos. But just for the record, it's the original (as opposed to alien) environment from which all life arose. It's why dolphins welcome us as kin and why wonder colors the underwater experience.

Keep those cards, letters and metaphysical stirrings coming.

"Creative dominion is thine".* — Freshwater Paradigms, Chapter 1, Volume I, Encyclopedia Aquatica

"An aquarium is natural selection in a box. Any real evolution however, occurs almost exclusively outside the glass." — Freshwater Paradigms Revisited, Chapter 12, Volume 20, Encyclopedia Aquatica

* The corollary to this as is discussed in the venerable text is the converse, i.e., that the Keeper as the arbiter of fate may visit desolation and ruin upon the Kept and so uncreate, either willfully or more often involuntarily.

Greengirl

Members
My reasons for keeping aquariums are simple. I love how an aquarium is like a living piece of art. You decorate it they way you want and add beautiful fish to live in it and it is so relaxing to watch them. Also, my building does not allow furry pets, so fish are the only thing I can have.

Becca

Members
My reasons for keeping aquariums are simple. I love how an aquarium is like a living piece of art. You decorate it they way you want and add beautiful fish to live in it and it is so relaxing to watch them. Also, my building does not allow furry pets, so fish are the only thing I can have.

I view mine as art as well. That's why the piranha tank drives me insane...

There is a bit of a god complex - yes, I can aquascape my aquarium however I please, add whichever fish I fancy (within reason), plan out color schemes, choose plants and containers (I have a thing for non-traditional "tanks"), etc., - but ultimately, I don't control it. I don't always have a say in what thrives and what doesn't and find myself pleasantly surprised by the activities of my aquarium inhabitants and the aspects of aquatic life that are far beyond my control.

There is also something very zen-garden about aquascaping. Perhaps this is why I never seem to be able to leave well-enough alone with the plants.

zackcrack00

Members
I keep aquariums because I like to breed fish. If fish were extremely hard to breed, I wouldn't know any of you! I love planning out genetics, working with babies, etc.! I really like watching my shy fish, which are my Rams and a stray baby Krib.

creepyoldguy

Members
Aquastudent, you and i think similar. I love the idea of creating an environment similar to.one that is thousands of miles away amd.watching the creatures thrive.

I also agree w the god theory as well. I am an in general controlling and.dominant person who likes to push the limits but to sucess, not failure. I like to figure out what works and doesnt work through experience and i can do this w fish by picking what i want to coexist w what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App