• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What do you use for fungus?

dogofwar

CCA Members
What do you use to treat fungus?

Cichlids fight...and sometimes fungus grows on the wounds. I've had OK luck with Melafix/Pimafix...not so good luck with MarOxy...OK luck with Maracyn II...

I'm generally a clean water, salt and Melafix kinda guy...

What works for you? Is it safe for bio filters and fry?

Thanks,
Matt

Hawkman2000

Members
Melfix (Extra Strength Cichlid Formula) and Pimafix are my first choice.

I would treat it like most types of infections. If you are going to treat an infection, make sure you eliminate it completely or the fungus/bacteria can develop an immunity.

Also, from what I have read, some fungi are more prominent in bacterial infections. Meaning that the fungus grows on top of a bacterial infection. I discovered this when looking for a treatment for my JDs that were tearing each other up, resulting in fungus on the wounds. I bombed the tank with Tetracycline for 3 weeks and never had a problem again. Of course, this was probably a bit aggressive.

Furan 2 sounds like a good idea as well. I have had good luck with all of APIs' products.

BTW, I had a friend a few years back who had a fungus problem. It kept coming back after trying everything. Turned out the their was a small patch of fungus growing in a small crevasse in the hood. He sterilized everything (hood, light...), treated the tank one last time: problem solved.

I have great success using Pimafix on acute fungal infections. Without going into too much details, I had repeated fungus infection in a tank for over 2 months. Polaris was able to stop the spreading of the infection every time.