• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What did you get at the ECC?

mrkillie

Members
I actually stayed for the whole thing. Over 600 lots auctioned off, ending at about 5:45 PM. Every last dollar left my wallet. Lots of great fish. Just got back and trying to find/make tank space for the new arrivals:

Neolamp. brevis
Ivanacara idoketa
Nannacara aureocephalus
Some young albine bristlenose which will get scattered about
Australoheros scitulus F1
and with my very last dollar, which Tony gladly took from me, some baby marmorkrebs.

I got the 3 things I wanted most (the I. idoketa, Aus. scitulus, and the N. aureocephalus) so I am a happy camper.

verbal

CCA Members
I forget exactly, but they were remarkably reasonable(I think it worked out to between $5 and $8) per fish for a group of 6 fry.

verbal

CCA Members
I got:
Cynotilapia afra cobue - I have wanted afra for a while
A pair of "Green Terrors" from mrkillie

I won an L444 aka Stripped Bulldog Pleco

I also got a ton of food and stuff.

emartin

Members
I only won one lot (a rare book on fish from Venezuela), but I did pick up a couple pre sales.

The two main highlights:
* Etroplus suratensis 4-4.5", brought over from ThatPetPlace for me by mrkillie..thanks again! I'm thinking this one is a male considering how much greener and bigger it is compared to the one I already have (I bought my smaller one from Jeff Rapps at the ACA, and this larger one is (I believe) also from Jeff Rapps originally). Perhaps I now have a pair?
* Paretroplus nourissati Lamena - Large Male from Daves Fish <---this fish is NICE!!! I love this thing. I only wish they were more common and cheaper...

:D

dogofwar

CCA Members
That's a great deal, Joel. They were about $30 each for 1.5-2"-ers about a year ago when I got mine (they're wild, though).

They're great fish. Lot's of personality for a dwarf (although my male's pushing 3.5" and still growing).

I've gotten mine to breed 3 times. The first time they raised them to free swimmers...and ate them. The second and third times they ate the eggs.

I have a spare male. If you end up with an extra female, let me know and I'd be interested in getting her from you...

Matt

I got my bags (6 fry about 3/4") for $30 & $35. I think That Fish Place had them a couple months ago for $80/pr.

mrkillie

Members
That's a great deal, Joel. They were about $30 each for 1.5-2"-ers about a year ago when I got mine (they're wild, though).

They're great fish. Lot's of personality for a dwarf (although my male's pushing 3.5" and still growing).

I've gotten mine to breed 3 times. The first time they raised them to free swimmers...and ate them. The second and third times they ate the eggs.

I have a spare male. If you end up with an extra female, let me know and I'd be interested in getting her from you...

Matt

3.5"? Wow, that's a lot bigger than what I've been reading.

Some folks were telling me they are very aggressive, but nothing that I've read indicates that. Have you had any problems with agression, other than at spawning?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Had a great time yesterday. The volume and variety were incredible, was really surprised we still finished before 6PM. Got home after 10PM, released the last bag of fish after 1AM. I picked up:

Placidochromis Phenocilus (sub-adult group)
Petrochromis Famula 'Cameroon Bay' (2 lots of juvies)
Tropheus 'Halembe' (WC adults)
Fossochromis Rostratus (group of juveniles)

Picked up a few bags of fish for another member including the following:
Otopharynx lithobates (juveniles)
Placidochromis sp. Jalo (juveniles)
Dimidichromis Kiwinge (juveniles)
Protomelas marginatus (juveniles)

Picked up some more fish from other ECC members as well. Had a great time at the new location, looking forward to the Spring auction.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Mine are remarkably gentle with each other, even when breeding. They LOVE live worms but will eat everything.

I showed my male at the ACA convention this summer. He was about 3" or so and they dinged me for him being "way too small"

Matt

Leffler817

CCA Members
ECC auctions are always a great time. Thank you to ECC for putting on a rocking good time.

I had an awesome time and brought my lucky horseshoe. I picked up:
Syno pardalis Ja River - won it :jumpy:
Clown Pleco - won it :jumpy: :jumpy:
SCC pleco caves -won 'em :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:
3 Blue Orchid cyps
Troph. Bemba from Mike (thanks bro :happy0180:)
Red cherry shrimp
a gorgeous Madagascar Lace plant

Big thanks to my driver! Couldn't have gotten there without you. :happy0180:

fischfan13

Banned
I guess I am in a complaining mood today...and so here I go.

I am a little frustrated that, in the past, many CCA Members have said that they would not go to an ECC Auction because it was too "African Cichlid Heavy". Over the past three auctions ECC has gone to great strides to equal the playing field and become a far more diverse auction.
With an auction that has a very nice amount of CA's, SA's and other non-African Cichlids there were less CCA members than ever.
So while our auction had more attend than ever, we had the least amount of CCA members in the past 2 1/2 years.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Fortunately, I had a fellow named Tony serve as my agent at the auction. :) He was instructed to bid on anything new world and brown in color. He brought me three lots... Thanks again Tony!

I couldn't make it otherwise, as I'm home watching three kids while my wife is out of the country attending a funeral :(

Bill - the auction really did have a great mix of fish this year. Kudos!

Matt

rsretep

Members
Wish I would have made it Bill and I have never had a problem with the diversity of the infamous ECC auction, always a great time (and i dont drink) lol

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I resemble that remark...

I am a little frustrated that, in the past, many CCA Members have said that they would not go to an ECC Auction because it was too "African Cichlid Heavy". Over the past three auctions ECC has gone to great strides to equal the playing field and become a far more diverse auction. With an auction that has a very nice amount of CA's, SA's and other non-African Cichlids there were less CCA members than ever.

Though I never said "never". I will grant that this ECC Auction's offerings seemed to be somewhat more balanced in a geographical sense, but speaking for myself:

1) It was far enough away that it meant a day-long commitment which is time I just didn't have;
2) I've been so resourceful the last year that I have virtually every species of SA cichlid I desire and the only reason I can accommodate my present holdings is that they're all mostly juveniles and co-mingled;
3) I leave the country this week for a while and had/have a truly phenomenal amount of work to finish;
4) I was/am sick for the first time in several years;
5) I'm courting.

All of that aside, I might have still been inclined to come just for the fraternal aspects and to offer assistance but all of it together basically precluded participation. I slept all day Sunday except when I was writing/editing reports.

So.....the the issue for me was less about what ECC had to offer and more about what I didn't (have to offer). And as most anyone will tell you, my absence is generally a good thing so count your blessings. Come what may, I will endeavor to ensure that my acid personality and thin excuse for wit/helpfulness/camaraderie is on full display when the ECC does Ballywood in the Spring. That's not a promise, but I'll do my best. I mean I just hate it when folk heros get all melancholy.

Alex Furlong: Man, if it's come down to this. What's the point?
Eagle Man: He Riddles me. The ancient riddle: "What's the point?" Have you ever seen an eagle flying back to his home with dinner for the Mrs. and all the little eagle babies. And he's flying against the wind and he's flying in the rain and he's flying through bullets and all kinds of hell, and then right at that moment when he's about to get back to his nest, he says, "What the f•ck, it's a drag being an eagle" and right then two little x'es comes across his eyes just like in the old fashion cartoons. And he goes plunging down, and down and down and BAM. He's just a splatter of feathers and then we don't have the national bird of America no more. Did you ever see that?
Alex Furlong: No.

Freejack, 1992 http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/3558194