• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

water pumps

bschuhart

Members
My 150 gallon tank has an Iwaki water pump connected to Ocean Clear Pleated filter canister to Ocean Clear bioball canister and I just added a 1/3 HP chiller that needs a 180-600 GPH flow.

After connecting the chiller the flow going to the chiller is 200GPH with my other 2 returns closed. To clearify, I inserted a "T" after the OC filters to go to the chiller and the output of the chiller goes directly to the tank.

I want to boost the flow, can I add a second pump inline somewhere or do I have to get a new pump with a higher rating? I have a Little Giant 4-MDQ-SC sitting in the closet.

Any thoughts?

hydrodmg

Members
i think you need a larger pump if you add another one inline it will be restricted by the first pump and put strain on the second pump i am no expert just my 2cents

Id go with a bigger pump, the second pump that you are thinking about inline will only work with the output of the first pump not total volume as if it were hooked directly to the tank itself. Pm sent

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres

bschuhart

Members
The pump was needed for the aquarium at the school I work at. Sent an email to Iwaki asking for a donation and they're sending me a FREE MD100XLT.

I'm on a roll, with the donations, first a chiller and now a nice pump. What next? Maybe new lighting.