• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water Pump Issues

jonclark96

Past CCA President
When I bought my 180G tank last year it came with a sump and the associated water pump. I did not set up the sump but I do use the water pump for water changes. I am not positive on the ID of the pump, but I think it is a Supreme Mag Drive 9.5 based on comparing it to pictures on line.

Here's the problem - I noticed yesterday that when I plugged in the pump it didn't start running. I went to pull it out of the tank and when I jostled the power cord it kicked on. Depending on how I messed with the cord, it would keep running put would kick off if the cord moved a certain direction.

After I finished the w/c I inspected the pump. There is a break in the jacket of the power cord right as it goes into the pump body.:angry3: There does not appear to be any way to get into the pump body to try to rewire as the body is sealed to allow it to be submersible.

Anyone have any experience with repairing pumps? Is it worth the hassle? A replacement pump would set me back about $100, but the thought of weekly water changes without the pump makes it worth it. Even though it still works when I mess with it, the last thing I want to do is electrocute me or my fish.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jon

bschuhart

Members
That's why I'm a fan of outboard type water pumps, You can fix them, change impellers, motor brushes, AC cables. My favorite brand is Iwaki, I've never had one of those fail and it constantly ran for 15 years, it still works. Little Giant is the only other pump I've used and I had one freeze up after 8 years, Had to rebuild it and it's now ready to use as a back up.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Unfortunately I can't make it to the cookout. I'm taking the kids to Disneyworld for the week and we don't get back until the day after the meeting. I'll bring it to the next meeting. You are the man!