• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water Heater

lonlangione

Members
Does anyone here have a "point of use" electric water heater? This is the type that heats the water as you need it. The one I looked at says it puts out 2.6 gallons of hot water per minute. I am concerned that I will not be able to do water changes with it. I am also very interested in lowering my electric bill. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a solar air pump!!!!!

mrkillie

Members
Does anyone here have a "point of use" electric water heater? This is the type that heats the water as you need it. The one I looked at says it puts out 2.6 gallons of hot water per minute. I am concerned that I will not be able to do water changes with it. I am also very interested in lowering my electric bill. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a solar air pump!!!!!

Do some research on-line Lonny. I have read that they do not save any money and the usefulness depends on the coldwater temperature as they are limited to the amount of temperature increase they can generate. If your cold water comes in at 50F in the winter, and it can only raise the temp 20F, you may not want to use that for fish or shower - brrrrr.

Joel

maddog10

Members
Don't have one, but here are some thoughts I have on them.

* You do not need 'fully' heated water when doing water changes.
* You will be mixing heated water in with cold when filling the tanks, so less heated water is needed.
* If you use it for just the tanks it should be adequate.

I have thought about getting one of these for my fish room, but just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I looked into both electric and gas "tankless" water heaters and they have advantages and disadvantages. The most common use for them (outside of the fish world :) ) is for extra big bathtubs...

The electric ones big enough to sustain water changes require 220 and pull quite a bit of juice.

The gas ones require a large sized gas line but are more efficient.

Matt

lonlangione

Members
I did some more looking on the net and you guys are right. They do pull a considerable amount of electric. I could see using one for just a normal household, baths washing clothes etc. but it is clearer to me now that if I am doing water changes, it may keep up but it is probably going to use more electric to do so. I went into my larger fishroom this morning and there is water coming from my water heater. At first I thought a tank had cracked or started leaking. I can't complain about the service from this water heater. This house is 50+ years old and it is the original water heater.

BevN

Members
Dale had gotten one of those point of use ones. It could not heat the water fast enough. It wasn't the tankless whole house thingie.

I don't even bother with the hot water even in the winter. Dale sneaks it in...usually when I'm going to get a shower...brrrrrrr. :cool:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Very interesting discussion.
I have been thinking about using the whole house one the next time I need a water heater. I have a gas heater now and its only around 9 years old but I hear popping sounds from it when I turn the hot water on. In the winter time I can only change the water in about 1/3 of my tanks with out waiting. Gets to be a pain.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Not to be a smart A-- Pat, but if you turn up the temp on your hot water heater you will use less hot and more cold to fill your tanks. Just a thought.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
lol
Yeah, I usually turn it up before I start draining all the tanks. Then about an hour later I start filling.
Still run out. It does help but....

lonlangione

Members
Pat, The cracking and popping sound is from sediment on the bottom of your water tank. It really doesn't hurt anything, it's just annoying. I have heard that if you drain the tank completely that some of the sediment will come out.

Lonny

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I've got an 80 gallon water heater, only way we run out is if we fill the jacuzzi, have someone taking a shower in the other bathroom and either the dishwasher or clothes washer kick on. I don't have a bunch of tanks, but I can't imagine it running out changing water... if that starts happening I'll know it's to much work and not enough hobby. ;)