• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water conditioners etc??

fordfan

Members
I strive for the best living conditions for my tanks which have mostly Peacocks and Haps. I am curious what you guys/gals are using, if anything as far as buffers,salts, etc. I have an RO/DI water setup for water changes I add RO right to my water per instructions for africans. My Ph is around 7.6 fyi. The fish seem to be in good health no complaints. Any thing else I can be doing/adding as far as water goes?

For my tanks I split my RO water.

My RO wastewater goes to my Africans. My RO good water goes to my South American and West African fish. The water quality for both is perfect and I don't need to add anything.

Andy

MarkK

CCA Members
I think for fish keeping, the key factors are consistency of the water, good biological filtration, and a schedule of partial water changes.

However for fish breeding, I believe that fish require an approximation of their natural habitat including dissolved salts (either present or not present).

Some fish are very sensitive to water parameters and others are less so. So it all depends on the species and what you want to do, and the biological imperative is so strong that many species will breed regardless.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'm like these other guys. I only use RO for my plecos and South American eartheaters. Africans get tap water with dechlor, with some rock/crushed coral in the tanks to buffer.

For dechlor, I go through such quantities that I prefer Safe (the powdered version of Seachem Prime).

fordfan

Members
I use an RO filter due to probs with my past setups. Seemed like fish always got sick immediately after a water change. No probs since new setup. Ok I'll just keep adding my "RO right". Fish all seen happy and content. Thanks for replies

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
I use tap water for all of the fish that I keep.

When I kept lots of rift lake fish, I used limestone rocks in the tanks for decorations.

Never used the various salts and other concoctions in the marketplace (other than dechlor)...

Matt