• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water Change

Reed

Very Fishe
How long does it take you to do a water change?
Time :1:05, % 20-25%,#Tanks:20,# Gal:
Veryfishe.com

MarkK

CCA Members
4-hours
30-40%
Tanks: 8
Gal: approximately 360

I figure 30 minutes a tank which includes other maintenance chores like removing algae, changing/rinsing filter media, other such tasks.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
about 45 minutes, but I've only got two tanks - 45 and 55. I use a version of the python (I bought a waterbed filling valve, much better than the python), and perform 50% water change weekly.

Forester

Members
2 hrs including maintenance and procrastination. 50% change on all 6 tanks 190 gallons total currently.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Ha! Like I have time to time things! :p

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dhavalsp

Members
55 G, 30-40%, weekly, 20 mins - including glass cleaning and other minor maintenance. I use 5G bucket to fill the water though.

1 to 3 hours a day, depending on how many tanks that day, have 45/55+ tanks running at any one time, I try to do at 20-40% on each one every 5/7 days,

1*90gl, 3*75, 2*65, 6*55, 1*54C, 3*45, 2*40, 2*40B,2*37C, 1*33L, 3*30, 3*30H, 1*30XT, 3*29, 5*25, 6*20H, 5*20L, 3*15, a number of 10's, 2*9, a bunch of 5.5 and 2.5's. That is about it. :wacko:

kevin911

Members
1 to 3 hours a day, depending on how many tanks that day, have 45/55+ tanks running at any one time, I try to do at 20-40% on each one every 5/7 days,

1*90gl, 3*75, 2*65, 6*55, 1*54C, 3*45, 2*40, 2*40B,2*37C, 1*33L, 3*30, 3*30H, 1*30XT, 3*29, 5*25, 6*20H, 5*20L, 3*15, a number of 10's, 2*9, a bunch of 5.5 and 2.5's. That is about it. :wacko:

You must be retired. Lol, awesome collection !

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Been successfully using my python for years to avoid using buckets and to get better suction getting gravel vacuumed. Replaced the crappy valve with one designed for water beds (no, don't have a water bed) that is just like the python valve but better made.

Forester

Members
How many people use buckets to fill up the ranks? That's what all my time goes into

To empty I siphon to a large rubbermaid which then gets pumped out the window via garden pump and hose. Thi step is just so that i have somewhere to clean sponges and so that any fry that get sucked up can still be saved.
To fill I put that same rubbermaid under the faucet in the bathtub and fill it and dechlorinate the water. I then pump that back to the tanks.

MarkK

CCA Members
in response to Q on how many people use Buckets...

How many people use buckets to fill up the ranks? That's what all my time goes into

I use a 32 gallon Brute Garbage Can with 5-wheel rolling platform. I use a sharpie to mark it FISH ONLY and I siphon water from tanks into the can and use a Lifeguard pump to pump replacement water back into the tanks.

I bought mine locally at Home Depot or Lowes but here are Amazon links to see what I am talking about.

http://smile.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-...d=1449427427&sr=8-13&keywords=brute+trash+can

http://smile.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-...450&sr=8-1&keywords=brute+30+gallon+trash+can

jonclark96

Past CCA President
To do all 20 tanks I have running, it usually takes about 4 hours, but I split it up and do my upstairs tanks in one shot and downstairs in another shot. I change between 50 and 75 percent usually. I pump tanks outside with a garden hose and then refill straight from the tap using a drinking water safe garden hose. No more Python, as I found the valves always dripped and the siphon function is a waste of water. My limiting factor is my well pump. I can drain tanks about twice as fast as they refill.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishEggs

I siphon into buckets so i can save any fry/shrimp that get sucked up and then have somewhere to rinse filter media. Then i water the bushes in the front yard or in winter dump down the drain. I refill straight from tap with a diy python hose connected to faucet via adapter. Never really timed it but recently it takes a lot of time due to injury. i do ~40% on a 220g and a 55g