• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water Change --> Dying Stappersi

tongpakfu

Members
First of all, thanks to everyone for their advice so far with my tank.

Today was my first water change, and I'm sad to say, it did NOT go well.

Background:

My tank is a 45G Tall (3' long), sandy substrate, rocky rock, Tang tank. I added 4 L. Stappersi on last Saturday. One did not survive the night, but was floating feebly the moment I put him in, so I figure he was probably in bad shape to begin with. The remaining three did fairly well, as far as I could, spreading out over the 3' of space and claiming their own territories. The most dominant of the three would often bully the other two out of their own territories, but nothing bad, no nipped fins or tails. Everyone was eager to eat when fed.

So, today I decided to do my first water change. I removed about 25-30% of the water, sucking up what debris I could (almost none). I took apart the canister filter and rinsed the filter media in water I'd drained from tank, having read somewhere that rinsing the sponges in tap water might kill of the bacteria within.

I added just under a capful of Prime to the tank, before refilling it with tap water, pegged at the same temp as the water in the tank (~79degrees). I restarted the filter.

Almost immediately, I noticed 2 of the 3 stapps were on the sandy bottom, gasping. Interestingly, it was the largest and the smallest of the group. The medium stap was swimming around normally, pushing sand around shells, etc. I turned off the light for a couple hours to try and reduce stress. After about 2 hours, I turned the lights back on, and left the apartment to get some work done.

When I returned 4 hours later, the largest stapp was dead in the corner. I can't find the smallest. The medium one is acting completely the same as before, pushing sand around, eating eagerly, etc.

Finally, here are my water parameters, taken this evening after discovering my dead fish:

PH: 7.9
KH: 10
GH: 11
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 15
Am: .25

I realize that Nitrates and Am. should be zero, but I think that there's a healthy dose of Am. in the water, and nitrite levels were a bit elevated since adding the fish on Sat.

So, any thoughts on what happened? Was it the stress of seeing the python tear apart the sand structures the dominant stap had spent so much time creating? Are my parameters that deadly? If so, why is the sub-dom stap apparently unaffected?

Thanks for reading this,

Duncan

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
It's hard to tell, but it sounds like the Prime did not work or was not enough. Or shock.
I would get yourself a 5 gallon bucket, mix the water in there the day before, put an air stone in the bucket and then try that. Give the chemicals a chance to get out first.

tongpakfu

Members
Thanks, all, for your comments.

I'm curious, since I know the water in my tap has a lot of ammonia, if a possible solution to my problem would be adding MORE Prime to the remaining water before adding water straight from the tank. I think the ideal solution would be to set up some buckets and treat the water prior to addition. As my living space is limited, however, I'm not sure I have space for that.

Would adding more Prime not do the trick? Obviously, I'd rather not test my theory on additional fish...

Thanks again!

Duncan

craby

Members
It sounds like your tank is not cycled. How long has it been set up?
When you change the bio load in an unestablished/unbalanced new tank by adding fish, you should try to keep the water paramaters as constant as possible by doing smaller water changes and by leaving the substrait and filter alone for a while.
Also, you should not vaccum the substrait and clean the filter the same day as these can result in a spike in the ammonia level if adequate beneficial bacterial are not present.

Tanganyikans can be very sensitive to sudden changes in water chemistry. In the lake environment they come from the water is very stable in terms of pH, alkalinity, and temperature. Doing a partial water change and not balancing pH, alkalinity, and temperature with the new water going in can be disastrous. I received this information from a conversation I had with Chuck Davis and Rosario Lacorte one Anniversary sale at TFP when I was just beginning with my L. stappersii. After that I rarely did water changes and they bred like crazy for me.

Andy

G

looks like your tank gone thru another cycle...or it didnt finish cycle yet as u said u put them in on sat?