• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Want to Borrow: Diatom Filter

Becca

Members
At least, I think I want to borrow one.

My husband's step-father recently acquired a 55 gallon tank. It came fully equipped with AquaSoil as a substrate.

We set it up but the water hasn't cleared much at all. We had to add the fish for lack of anywhere else to put them, and they don't seem to mind the turbidity, but there are loads of really great plants that came with the tank and we can't see well enough to plant them.

He did a 75% water change yesterday but it didn't help much. We're kind of worried the plants will turn to sludge while we're waiting for the dust to settle and I know he'd like the tank to look like more than a mud puddle, since it's in his living room.

Does anyone have a diatom filter they'd be willing to loan out? If I recall correctly, this should help get fine particles out of the water.

Becca,

I usually add a HOB filter that I stuff with Polyfill a couple times to clear the debris from planted substrate. I dont bother even trying to wash it out to reuse, just use most of a bag to get the initial clear, after that it shouldnt be hard to maintenance.

Thanks
Rob

Becca

Members
I'm suddenly wishing I hadn't sold that AquaClear 110 I had lying around (or wishing I had a lid for that AC 30, or a motor for the AC20)... Hahahahaha!!!!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Another option is to get the quick filter attachment for an aquaclear powerhead. Stuff it with floss and let it run. It should help clear things up quickly.

I've also used some of the "quick clear" additives that you can buy in the pet store (although it was many years ago). They seemed to work as well, just not sure exactly how they work.

verbal

CCA Members
I'm suddenly wishing I hadn't sold that AquaClear 110 I had lying around (or wishing I had a lid for that AC 30, or a motor for the AC20)... Hahahahaha!!!!

Will the AC30 motor attach to the AC20? Tony was telling me this weekend that a number of the ACs use the same motor.

Becca

Members
You should still be able to run the AC30 without the lid as long as its not tilting away from the tank.

Yeah, just worried that if it gets gummed up and overflows that my mother in law will not be happy with her new carpet color! :eek:

There is a powerhead with the tank - not sure what kind. It's the 55 set-up that bigstick20 (Jeff) was selling.

AquaStudent

Members
I've also used some of the "quick clear" additives that you can buy in the pet store (although it was many years ago). They seemed to work as well, just not sure exactly how they work.

If you're thinking of what I am those additives work by bonding to the floating particles.

I'm not sure which way the chemical works but these are my thoughts.

1) The additives bond to the floating particulates which increases their size and increases their chance of being caught in filter media.

and second (this is my more favored idea)
2) The additives have an intrinsic charge (i don't recall if it's positive or negative) but either way it's the opposite of the filter media's charge. That way the media extracts the charged particles out of the water and hence clearing it up. It's quite clever.

Take a look at the Q+A on the Drs. F+S page
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1794

One thing to note, you may have to go in and physically stir some of the muck back up to get it to a filter, aquasoil tends to leave a fine grit on alot of plants if you dont. Been dealing with that recently with my 75 as I have been cleaning that up.

Becca

Members
One thing to note, you may have to go in and physically stir some of the muck back up to get it to a filter, aquasoil tends to leave a fine grit on alot of plants if you dont. Been dealing with that recently with my 75 as I have been cleaning that up.

I feel bad because I know my FIL was hoping to have the tank looking gorgeous and wonderful this weekend, but so far we can't even see the phenomenal piece of driftwood he put in there. I'll keep passing tips along, so keep 'em coming!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Will the AC30 motor attach to the AC20? Tony was telling me this weekend that a number of the ACs use the same motor.

Yeah, motors and shafts (not impellers) are interchangeable between AC 30, 50 and 70.

Spine

Members
I have a diatom filter but I don't think it's that big a deal. It will settle in a couple days. I would leave it alone or do what Rob suggested.

Let me know what you decide:D

Spine

Members
I would not do any more water changes or anything to stir stuff up.Btw I have a AC200 top if I go to the next meeting I'll bring it.

Becca

Members
I have a diatom filter but I don't think it's that big a deal. It will settle in a couple days. I would leave it alone or do what Rob suggested.

Let me know what you decide:D

He's going to talk to Jeff tonight and see what he says. He's done a few water changes, but I strongly suspect it's only stirring things up.