• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Video:Krobia guianensis w/ Fry

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've been slack at updating my 150 South American tank thread. It's doing beautifully. I have quite a few juvenile fish in there now (ranging from A. heckelii, S. daemon, Krobia guainensis, Buenos Aires tetras and even a group of small discus). As the fish grow, I'll be pulling some out.

I need to do a better video surveying the whole tank (coming soon), but came down stairs on Thursday to some very interesting behavior that I had to tape.

I had gotten some Krobia guianensis from an ECC member last fall. Some went to a couple of other CCA members and I held onto 6 of them. They grew out for a bit in a smaller tank (rather rapidly I must say), then went into the melting pot that is the 150.

Last week, they were guarding wigglers amongst the leaf litter in the corner. Over the weekend, the wigglers became free-swimming and the parents are doing their job quite well, despite numbers in the tank.

Mostly, they chase off the other Krobia, but are not afraid to go after a larger eartheater if necessary.

(crank it up to HD if you'd like)
[YT]oS7pkVsgQ78[/YT]

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
hey what is that fish at 2:16 right in the middle with a bluish tint to itself?

Probably either Acarichthys heckelii or Satanoperca daemon. They're small now (3"-4.5"), but can eventually reach about 9" and 12" respectively.

I'll shoot a separate video of everyone some time this week.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I see a lot of Krobia in CCA's future

I suctioned 100+ wigglers away from my pair at 1:00 AM this morning before I left for Montreal, already have 40 from their last spawn that are beginning to actually look like miniature fish. The male is immense, mostly only see them when they're hungry but they may well have something to do with their sharing a tank with a pair of Nics, the male of which is just beginning to get his hump and perform some pretty intimidating gill flaring.

Oblongums have to be next - the adult male I have is pushing six inches and has truly spectacular coloration and the ten rapidly growing 2" juveniles are almost as pretty with the same dark dappled black and gray infused with deep electric red, blue and yellow highlights. Very chameleon-like with coloration altering rapidly depending on mood, almost like having 2-3 different species in the tank, but always pretty.

Need more tank space. Sigh...

rsretep

Members
Beautiful setup Tony, I like the way they have an area "around the corner" from the rest of the population