• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Vacations and Aquaria

mchambers

Former CCA member
We came back late Monday night from our 12 day trip to Belize. Before we left, I decided not to feed my fish while we were gone, even though I have quite a few automatic feeders that I could have used for most of my tanks. I did throw in some extra Repashy before we left, but I'm willing to bet it was gone within 24 hours.

I also worried about power failures from thunderstorms, but it appears that we didn't lose power, since none of our appliances were on that cursed blink time when we got home.

Last night, I did water changes on all but two of my seven tanks. It looks like I didn't lose any fish due to starvation or the lack of water changes, although in some tanks it's hard to be certain, simply because it's too hard to count the fish. Still, I don't see any remains of dead fish, and it looks like all of the bigger fish survived just fine. Everyone looks healthy.

It's making me rethink how often I feed my fish. I may feed my fish less frequently, perhaps 4 days a week or something like that, unless I am condititioning them for breeding.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good stuff, Matt.

When we went to Argentina and Uruguay for 3 weeks a couple of years ago, I only had someone come in a feed sparingly every 3-4 days...starting three days after we left. Only the death of a couple of fish who were on their way out anyway...

Other than bad water quality and aggression, I'd bet that the affect of overfeeding on internal organs is a leading cause of death, especially for seeminly healthy fish.

I don't feed at all at least one day per week, except with new fry.

Matt

ezrk

Members
Just for a counterpoint...We have always felt that when we leave our fish without food for a moderate period of time (say 3-4 days) we come back to aggression issues and nipped fins.

When we leave them with automatic feeders even feeding small amounts (about half what we normally do) we don't see these issues.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Just for a counterpoint...We have always felt that when we leave our fish without food for a moderate period of time (say 3-4 days) we come back to aggression issues and nipped fins.

When we leave them with automatic feeders even feeding small amounts (about half what we normally do) we don't see these issues.

I used to find the same thing. Now I routinely skip feedings for a few days at a time and have not found it to be a problem anymore.

Sent from my DROIDX

WendyFish

Members
I used to find the same thing. Now I routinely skip feedings for a few days at a time and have not found it to be a problem anymore.

Sent from my DROIDX
What changed? Just maturity/getting settled, your PoV, other?

We love our vacations so it's great to get various ideas of how best to approach.

So far, honestly, we've only had benefit, as between let's call it 10 days without a water change, and 10 days unannoyed by humans, our fish spawn relentlessly when we're back and they get a big water change, and food security is restored.

I think it's well worth considering the full range of options, though, especially if we were to go away for longer.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Funny how sometimes "less is more". I remember back in the day having a pair of Thoricthys something-or-other (affinis?) that were always on the verge of breeding...but never would.

A week trip to Florida (and no feeding) and I came back to a bunch of free swimmers. Of course, it being 1987 or so, a bunch of the babies got sucked under the under gravel filter (my Silent Giant air pump was strong)... Still got the BAP points.

Matt

What changed? Just maturity/getting settled, your PoV, other?

We love our vacations so it's great to get various ideas of how best to approach.

So far, honestly, we've only had benefit, as between let's call it 10 days without a water change, and 10 days unannoyed by humans, our fish spawn relentlessly when we're back and they get a big water change, and food security is restored.

I think it's well worth considering the full range of options, though, especially if we were to go away for longer.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I think the fish adjusted to my feeding routine. Size may have played a role though they increase aggression with size.

Sent from my DROIDX