• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

US Botanic Garden - Wow!

dogofwar

CCA Members
We've lived in the DC area for nearly 5 years now...and the US Botanic Garden (http://www.usbg.gov/) was one of those sites that I hadn't gotten around to seeing yet.

I had a meeting at the Humphrey Building (Health and Human Services HQ) downtown (near the Fed Center Metro Stop) and had a break before lunch...so I walked across the street to check it out.

In a word, it was amazing. There's a jungle area with a second level for climbing through the canopy, an orchid area, a Hawaii area, and just lots and lots of gorgeous plants. It didn't hurt that it was a really nice day as well (or that there were only probably a couple of dozen visitors at the time). I spent probably 35 minutes there before heading back for more meetings across the street.

The only downer (and unfortunately it was at the very end of my visit) was the conduct of a rude Capital Police Officer.

There is a Classroom near the exit of the Garden. It's a nice, bright room with a line of paintings on its walls (and room for, maybe 75 people, theater style). Anyway, I walked through the (unlocked, clear glass) doors to look at the art on the wall and take in the room....and, as I was looking at a painting, the Police Officer yells at me, "What are you doing in there? You're not allowed to be in there!" As I was on my way out, anyway, I said, "I'm sorry, I had no idea." The officer says, "You should have known better. What were you doing in there?" I said that I was looking at the room and the paintings on the wall. And ask, "How as I supposed to know that this area was off limits? (Since there are no signs, the doors were glass and unlocked, and the contents of the room looked interesting (to me at least)." He tells me that because the doors were closed and because there aren't plants in there. And continues to lecture me on how I'd done something - CLEARLY - wrong. I asked the guy, "What's going on here? I'm confused." And he continues on. I asked to speak to his supervisor, which I did.

So, long story short, please check this out. It's a wonderful place. But don't go into the Classroom area. Our nation's nuclear codes, the portal to the netherworld, or maybe just a few nice paintings...are in there :)

Matt

PS I cought myself asking myself when I was going to create a smaller version of this in my backyard a couple of times. :rolleyes:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Just another "blooming" idiot

You're so obviously a jihadist with bad intent, hard to blame him really.

The National Arboretum out New York Avenue NE is pretty stunning as well - most amazing and oldest bonsai I've ever seen.

You should check out the place during the holiday season. We go every year with my boys because the train display is nice and every year is a different theme. And there is always a really huge Christmas tree that is decked out.

Arlene

verbal

CCA Members
It has been years since I have been, but as a kid an overlooked gem was Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, I think it is NE Washington DC.