• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Updated Pics of the Apistos!

Lively

Members
So, I've had them a month now... still having issues with getting the pH down. But, the water is definately tea colored - I like the look but makes for a much harder pic! Doesn't help there is a sliding glass door across from the tank... great for the plants in there - not so good for the camera. Had to edit out reflections :-(

So, some before and after pics for you guys.

Taken today
DSC_2098.jpg

I like this one... Dive! Dive!
DSC_2090.jpg

Pic of the boy last month
ApistoDSC_1844.jpg

The Girl(s) Taken today
DSC_2087.jpg

DSC_2094.jpg

DSC_2115.jpg

And, last month
ApistosDSC_1862.jpg

The more colorful one from last month
ApistosDSC_1885.jpg

iamzrad

Members
Apisto's are looking good!

I use this seachem product called, "SA/CA trace elements". It gets the water soft, pH down a bit and enhances the color and promotes breeding.

Lively

Members
Thanks, I'm happy with how they are looking.

Something is seriously buffering the tank, still. I took all the "real" rock out, except the substrate gravel (I hate gravel but it was all I had at the time) Water changes with rainwater - trying to lower slowly for the fishies sake! I hate to do it, but I think the gravel is going to come out this weekend. Man, do I hate changing substrate.

Lively

Members
I've done everything to get it down, like I said the water is very much tea colored now. I should get some muratic acid to test the gravel, but at this point there doesn't seem to be a point since it is the only possible source of the buffer. I should bag it and bring it to the meeting and sell it as the buffering agent from he**!

TY Crazy - I'm really pleased with how they've come along!

Spine

Members
Lively,
Your fish look great. I got mine to spawn in tap water(ph7.2). Just keep feeding them well and do your water changes they'll come around.

YSS

Members
Very nice looking apistos. I had a nice looking pair in my discus tank, but when I upgraded from 90G to 265G, the fish didn't survive the move. Don't know why since I set everything up the same way. I set up the 265, move the fish from 90, but the apistos never adjusted. Anyhow, where did you get them? I am still looking for a few pairs of apistos and GBR for my tank, but can't seem to find good quality stock.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Amazon basement and frybabies (both sponsors of this group) both have good selections to choose from. I know some LFS in MD that carry some, but you'd get better quality through sponsors of our site.

Jumbie

Members
Stacy these are some great pics...I love apistos and your fish look nice and healthy! I could get mine to breed as easy as Kevin did, I had to drop the PH and it took me a while to get the right combo for a successful PH range. FYI Drift wood and RAIN WATER helped a lot for me... also I have a "Pillow Softener" that you could try to use and see if it could help with dropping the PH. Again nice pics and great looking fish.

Lively

Members
Thanks everyone!

I got the quad at auction at May's meeting. There was a pair of BGR's (proven breeders) at the last auction - if I had the tank space I would have given who ever won them a run for his money!

Josh - I've been doing all that! I didn't have a way to collect rain water so I shelled out the bucks to put bottled water in the tank - it tested at 6.0 - but nothing has brought the water below 7 and it keeps going back up between 7.2-7.6.

I added blackwater to the tank - all that did was make it impossible to see the fish - no change. I think that until I find the cause it's going to be a lost cause! The pH was much lower when I had it bare bottom. It has to be the gravel.