• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Under Water brine shrimp hatchery

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've seen those before, but never thought to get one. Not sure how it works... seems like the salinity would equalize with that of the tank once you put it it.???...

mscichlid

Founder
I bought one a long time ago. It is still in its original packaging..

I think it has to do with the weight of salt water and the way it is constructed that keeps the two from mixing. But I wasn't aware that it went that far down into the tank either.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Clever if it works, but as cheap as decapsulated brine shrimp are it's hard to see the point.

Tony

I'm a firm believer in feeding live BBS to newborn fry. The movement definitely triggers a feeding response that you just don't get from golden pearls or ground up food. While I'm not always the best at remembering to keep new batches going every few days, when I do, survival rates are always higher in the critical first couple weeks.... especially in smaller species.

chriscoli

Administrator
I have one and, well, it lives in the garage in a box of other fish stuff I don't want to deal with. Let me just say....I was less than impressed. The saltwater stays put as long as there's no bumping it, no water movement, no waves, no disturbing it (yeah, right...I've got my arm in my tank a couple of times a week for various reasons - usually to put the knocked over driftwood back). And, DON'T forget to take it out when you do a water change, otherwise all of the saltwater ends up in your tank.

ick.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Read my review in the Fall issue of the PVAS Delta Tales.

I am not a PVAS member so I don't have access to Delta Tales and can't back door it to the article. Since it would require me to by salt for the brine I'll find something else.

Tony

Prince - Do it the old fashion way....

Get an empty 2L bottle. Cut the bottom off, screw on the cap. Punch 2 holes in the open/wide end and make a hanger with a wire coat hanger. Fill 3/4 up with dechlor'ed water and add 1 tsp eggs + 1 tsp marine salt (get a small container at the LFS for under $10). Add airstone and wait 24 hours. I don't heat the culture separately, so it take a bit longer than others, but meh, one less lightbulb.

To feed them, pull airline tubing and wait 5 minutes. Either siphon off bottom (just above the eggs) or use a flashlight to draw them to the top.

A pain at first, but gets easier and the increased survival rate is worth it.

mscichlid

Founder
Everytime we have a meeting with all those empty soda bottles brine shrimp hatcheries is what I think of each and every time.