• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Troubleshooting my light fixture

gcaligan

Members
So I bought a used tank about a year ago which came with a big compact fluorescent light fixture. It has two rows of daylight bulbs and one row of actinic bulbs, plus some little LEDs. Over the course of the past year, the lights have stopped working one at a time, so that now only one bulb comes on full strength and another one comes on half way and flickers. I've tried rotating the bulbs around, and it seems like it's the fixture rather than the bulbs that is the problem. I know next to nothing about lighting or electronics in general. I don't see any obvious problems like loose wires or corrosion- although there is a fair amount of salt.
Apparently similar fixtures cost a butt-load of money, so I'd like to fix this one. After reading a little bit online I'm thinking it may be a matter of replacing the ballasts. Before I do that, I figured I would see if anyone has any ideas.

light01.jpg

light02.jpg

light03.jpg

light04.jpg

light05.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Chances are very slim it is anything other than the ballasts. Fortunately, it is not too challenging to swap the ballasts out. Although it may not be cheap to replace them or all that easy to find them. I would start by checking here: http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=1279
If Champion does not have it, I would consider contacting Current directly.

gcaligan

Members
Okay, thanks guys. I'll have to check out that link. I did a quick google search of the model number and found a site selling them for about $40 each. Does that sound reasonable? I'm also thinking I'll probably just replace a few- don't think I need quite that much light.

minifoot77

Members
what site was that cause i'm lookin for some two are your bulbs 96 watt? Make sure they are the correct ballasts

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org