• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Trio Of Julies?

Charlutz

Members
I have a group of young julie transcriptus. Had them in a 40 breeder and the largest one paired off with another. Due to a tank reorganization, I moved the whole group to a new 40 breeder before the pair bred. It took a few weeks, but once in the new 40g, the largest one seems to have formed a trio with two fish, I am assuming females. I am removing the three outcasts, but wondered if a trio could coexist. I thought they were pairing fish. Anyone have this happen and last?

longstocking

Members
Very common to form trios ! Just watch for trouble with the 2 females... but this is very common. Congrats ;) I love when mine form trios ! Makes it much more interesting !

A lot of egg layers will do this .. not just Julies. Normally they do form pairs... but trios happen quite a bit ! My buescheri made a trio and my Julie tran. morfs :)

Sonny Disposition

Wow that really is interesting. I can see why you like Tanganyikans so much.

Very common to form trios ! Just watch for trouble with the 2 females... but this is very common. Congrats ;) I love when mine form trios ! Makes it much more interesting !

A lot of egg layers will do this .. not just Julies. Normally they do form pairs... but trios happen quite a bit ! My buescheri made a trio and my Julie tran. morfs :)[/b]

D

daniel4832

Sarah is correct, while in the wild only pairs have been reported, trios even groups can form in our tanks. I have even had WC fish form trios and groups. I have found some fish such as Altolamprologus compressiceps, a fish that only forms pairs in the wild, that I have only been able to breed in group. To get back to Charlies question, Julies seems to be one of the most flexable Tang breeders, I have had them breed as pairs, trios, reverse trios, and groups.
Thanks,
Daniel

Charlutz

Members
Thanks all. That is good to know. I just need to get the last outcast out of that tank before it gets harassed too much. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a second pair or trio. I've got one leleupi in my 210 that all of a sudden became an outcast. Haven't managed to nab her either. How do people keep fish with only one tank?

D

daniel4832

With great difficulty. Get another tank. No, get two.

<div class='quotemain'>Thanks all. How do people keep fish with only one tank?[/b]

George
[/b][/quote]

Well said George!!!
Thanks,
Daniel

Charlutz

Members
I managed to get the three outcasts out of one 40 breeder and into another. Wouldn't you know it, once I did, the most abused fish when they were in the 6 fish group, now just became the master of destruction in a three fish group. Anyone need spare julie transciptus bemba? I believe they are F1. Daniel, can you confirm? Fish are a solid 1.5".

maddog10

Members
I have a trio of dickfeldi. The females have staked claim to different rock piles. The male has a favorite though, 80% of the time he will choose one particular female but I know he has bred with both of them. There is a fourth fish in the tank with them, but it is excluded from both groups (it likes to come up to the top of the tank at feeding time and barrel roll, cool to watch).

juli-1.jpg

Charlutz

Members
That's a very cool picture Mike. The camera brings out the black on black striping. With mine, the two females stay in the same rock pile and the male roves around the tank pushing other fish around a bit and then returning to the rock pile. I have a pair of brevis in there that have sevreal shells to choose from. Whenever they are anywhere near the julies, the male lets them know they shouldn't be there.

D

daniel4832

Mike,
That is a beautiful variety of J. dickfeldi!!!
Thanks,
Daniel

I managed to get the three outcasts out of one 40 breeder and into another. Wouldn't you know it, once I did, the most abused fish when they were in the 6 fish group, now just became the master of destruction in a three fish group. Anyone need spare julie transciptus bemba? I believe they are F1. Daniel, can you confirm? Fish are a solid 1.5".[/b]

Wow, one of my favorite fish.
How much are you selling them for?
Thanks, Jeff

D

daniel4832

I managed to get the three outcasts out of one 40 breeder and into another. Wouldn't you know it, once I did, the most abused fish when they were in the 6 fish group, now just became the master of destruction in a three fish group. Anyone need spare julie transciptus bemba? I believe they are F1. Daniel, can you confirm? Fish are a solid 1.5".[/b]

Charlie,
Yes they are F1s.
Thanks,
Daniel

Charlutz

Members
<div class='quotemain'>I managed to get the three outcasts out of one 40 breeder and into another. Wouldn't you know it, once I did, the most abused fish when they were in the 6 fish group, now just became the master of destruction in a three fish group. Anyone need spare julie transciptus bemba? I believe they are F1. Daniel, can you confirm? Fish are a solid 1.5".[/b]

Thanks, Jeff
[/b][/quote]

I dunno. $7.50 each? I think one might have jumped. The two I have left do NOT get along, but might be ok together if you are adding to a group. I'll look tonight to see if the third is just hiding.

Charlutz

Members
I do have three, but I don't think any two can be in the same tank without lots of cover. Funny, they were all fine when the three of them were getting picked on by the trio.

<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>I managed to get the three outcasts out of one 40 breeder and into another. Wouldn't you know it, once I did, the most abused fish when they were in the 6 fish group, now just became the master of destruction in a three fish group. Anyone need spare julie transciptus bemba? I believe they are F1. Daniel, can you confirm? Fish are a solid 1.5".[/b]

Thanks, Jeff
[/b][/quote]

I dunno. $7.50 each? I think one might have jumped. The two I have left do NOT get along, but might be ok together if you are adding to a group. I'll look tonight to see if the third is just hiding.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks. Now that they have spawned maybe you'll have some babies??? If you are successful with them I'd like to get some in the future then. I want to start another tank with certain fish, and this is near the top of one of my favorites. Thanks, and good luck. Jeff