• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Treating Mbuna illnesses and fry Qs

secuono

Members
I noticed two of my fish got fungus/tail rot, another just died out of the blue. I have no idea how you would go about treating them if they are impossible to catch. No way I will remove all the rocks and such and stress everyone else while trying to catch one fast sick fish. There's nearly no aggression, just a bit of chasing off, none are adults or bigger than 2.5in.
The other died, the one with the tail issue is alive, most of his tail is now solid white. I finally caught him and separated him from the others.
If the tank already has salt[1tsp per 5g] and is just chalk full of rocks and such that is not removable, how do you guys catch or treat these fish or any sick fish? All others are doing fabulous, eat like pigs, swim and explore none stop.
I don't think the 1 fish is savable, the white is far up on his body, if he does survive, he will be tailless. Never had any fish with any rot or fungus, kinda think they were sick when I got them...idk.

Also, can Mbuna fry grow up in softer water than they technically need? Don't have a spare tank for them to set up and all, not til awhile at least. I got them a bigger, better net to be in for now.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Try Maracyn 2 for tail rot. You should be able to pick it up at the LFS.

When tank space gets tight, I hang fry baskets in other tanks with varying water conditions. Malawi fish are not super picky to water hardness/pH so long as it's not below 7. You will see the largest effect of proper water chemistry on their breeding frequency. Sounds like your guys are still growing out though, so I wouldn't really care too much if I were you.

secuono

Members
My other tanks are full of wood and plants, those are around 6.6pH. The Mbuna tank is at about 8pH.

The fish didn't survive, passed a couple hrs after I posted. So I'm guessing treating the whole tank w/good meds would be the best option?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
My other tanks are full of wood and plants, those are around 6.6pH. The Mbuna tank is at about 8pH.

The fish didn't survive, passed a couple hrs after I posted. So I'm guessing treating the whole tank w/good meds would be the best option?

I definitely wouldn't go from 8 to 6.6, especially with juvenile fish. Transition them for a day or so in tap water pH or drip acclimate them.